Help picking CPU and MOBO for budget gaming P.C.

Courage the Dog

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
Hello! This is my first time posting. If this question is posted in the wrong place or if there is any other concerns with it please let me know and I will take care of it.

I am currently attempting to put together a budget P.C. to play some more modern titles like Metal Gear Solid V and The Witcher 3; and some upcoming titles like Dark Souls 3, Overwatch, and ReCore. My hope is to have them run smoothly on a 1920 x 1080 screen.

For the time being I was going to use a case, power supply, and graphics card I ready have. I have a Geforce GTX 750 Ti graphics card and plan to purchase 8 gigs of RAM.

The chips I was debating between were the i3 4170 and the i5 3570(k). I would most likely purchase from eBay and do not mind getting used hardware. The i3 would probably cost me $100-$110 and the i5 would probably cost $130. I know the i3 have less cores, but has the hyperthreading, higher mhz, and is on a newer architecture. I wasn't sure if these benefits outweighed the capabilites of the older i5. I would also be open to other CPU suggestions, but please consider that $130 is already pushing what I want to spend.

My next question is what mobo would you recommend with the CPU? If I got the i3 I was thinking I would get the MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard for $45. I would also buy a sound card as my current speakers use a digital optical audio cable and I would like to continue using it. I assume I could get the MOBO and sound card for $65 or less. I got a bit overwhelmed when trying to compare boards for the i5 3570. Ivy Bridge boards are difficult to buy new, so I was browsing used boards. I was having troubles determining what the best budget board would be with the features I would need. Again I plan to use eBay and am fine getting a used board. If I got the i5 I would optimally like to keep the cost under $70, but this is including my desire to have a digital optical audio output. If your recommended boards that have the port that's awesome, if not assume I'll have to buy the sound card. Also if you recommend a different CPU altogether I would appreciate MOBO recommendations along with it.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer!

gumbob3

Respectable
Mar 5, 2016
For exactly which motherboard, that is an impossible question to answer. It all just depends on what you need from a motherboard. Do you need USB 3.0? Do you need 2, 3, 4 way SLI? That is all up to you! But, what I can do, is recommend brands of motherboards. The highest quality and most reliable boards are probably ASUS. After that I would go AsRock, then Gigabyte, and finally MSI. It is pretty much agreed by everybody that ASUS is the best mobo, so If you can, get an ASUS motherboard. I would probably recommend the newer i3, even a skylake i3 if you can. Hope I helped, please quote this if you have any questions and I would love to continue helping you the best i can!! :)