How do I make explorer.exe run on startup?

Wlither

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
Hey guys, so recently i have been getting a black screen on startup and I have to go to task manager with ctrl+alt+delete to run explorer.exe but I want to find a permanent solution to this, I tried putting explorer.exe on Shell but it still doesn't work, pls help me out guys.

Solution
1) Run sfc /scannow to see if that fixes it
2) If it doesn't, reinstall windows

Basically, you should NEVER have to do that, so you need to fix the actual problem rather than hiding it!

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you get a blank screen with no task bar and no desktop wallpaper at start, try unplugging all your peripherals and turn pc off and try again. see if it fixes it. If it boots normally, then it just becomes a matter of working out what is at fault, plug them each in one at a time, and restart pc to see what is to blame.

I had dying speakers and it took me 3 months to work out - I trusted them to not be the cause until they stopped altogether and it made it obvious. I had also upgraded my gpu around same time and was blaming it for the problem.

Another option is do a clean boot, this will tell you if its windows at fault or one of your start up programs: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/929135

I know its frustrating when your pc suddenly stops acting normal and every start up becomes a game of Russian roulette to see if pc will start normally.