Difference between HDMI and HDTV cable?

John699

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
So I went to buy the hdmi cable to hook up to my graphics card as with vga the video quality on 1080p full hd monitor is so mundane and lame as vga is limited to display 800p

So the shop keeper gave me HDTV cable so what's the difference between hdmi cable and HDTV cable....are they same?

Solution

That is an HDMI cable, and HDMI is only connected when your GPU is outputting a signal (i.e. not turning off the display)...
What's the difference? "HDTV cable" doesn't exist.

1) If your monitor supports HDMI, use it
2) VGA is NOT limited to 800p, it actually can do ~2000x1500, and does 1080p just fine, even at 60Hz
3) If your monitor is actually 1080p and has VGA it WILL support 1080p on VGA. Just right click on the desktop and go to resolution, then change it to 1080p

I am guessing some shop is using marketing to sell HDMI cables as HDTV cables. I doubt they would be using selling component or something else under that name.

As said VGA is capable of high enough resolutions, but if the monitor or TV cheaps out of the analog to digital converter it may look bad. This is not an issue with VGA it self and instead an issue with the device using it.

I have an old Syncmaster 245t that has HDMI/DVI/Component/S-video/Composite/and VGA. Under VGA it looks nearly identical to DVI(HDMI at resolutions of 1920 x 1200 and under use the same clock speed and timings as DVI). Text is just a hair(and i mean a hair) less sharp, you would not even see the difference on video or games.

John699

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

But is component cable and hdmi cable pins same and alike?

Do NOT use component cables if you have an HDMI cable. Just look them up on google and you'll see how they are NOT the same.

In fact, other than the Dell U2410 very few monitors even have component cables!

John699

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

Thanks mate BTW I'm still doubtful what he has given me although it's exactly like hdmi and is written v1.4 HDTV cable I don't what's that and when I goggles HDTV cable the response was hdmi cable....so my monitor is running well and everything is fine except when the monitor goes in idle mode there's a feature power saver mode which gets activated but in that window it says no hdmi cable connected how come but when I move my mouse the display comes back

But I the system in device manager it says the display is running on hdmi and in amd catalyst it says digital panel signal

What's exactly is going on?

That is an HDMI cable, and HDMI is only connected when your GPU is outputting a signal (i.e. not turning off the display). When your computer turns off the display or gets turned off (standby, hibernate, etc), it will show that "warning". It's perfectly harmless

Now, if you spent more than $12 for a 2m cable or $10 for 1.5m, go to the store and demand a refund. You can usually find them for well under $10 at reputable stores! (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=HDMI+Cable+Type_HDMI+to+HDMI+%28Standard%29&ci=8103&N=4288594203+4288607245+4291649438)

Solution