Buying a pre-built, need advice on Brand

Pandora20k

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
I'm working on a plan to purchase a pre-built Windows machine in the next 3-4 weeks. Years ago, I would have built something from scratch, but have been out of the game for almost 15 years and just don't have it in me to go that route.

After reviewing plenty of "prospective" pre-builts, I have a lot of "general" questions. Here is my Brand question.

15 years ago, I was buying Dells for the business I worked for. We had 5 offices and we had a corporate account. I purchased an $1,800 XP system for home use, and it lasted almost 8 years. In recent times, I've heard that Dell machines are not what they used to be. If Alienware were still an independent company, they would be my first pick for a pre-built.

And now, there are so many many names out there. I could really use same advice on brands to look at or avoid. Right now my main "workstation" is an HP office machine that is 8 years old. I've been nursing it along for a while now, and it's fine for basic stuff, but it's shelf life is limited.

Here are some specifics of the type of machine I am looking to buy and also upgrade:

OS: Windows 7 Professional (I expect this will require either a downgrade or manual install)
Ram: at least 12 gigs out of the box
Video - 2 video cards, probably going to be NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or something in that general range (will be adding the second video card in a few months)
CPU: Intel Core i5 or i7

Machine Usage: Medium to Heavy (Video Streaming, Photoshop, Video Rendering, some medium end Gaming) Machine will be turned on and very active 16 hours a day. I don't need to a machine to play the very latest high end games, but I'd like to be able to play some of the titles that I keep hearing about. Skyrim, maybe?

I work from home and this new machine will be my main workstation. During the day, some 12 apps will be run at the same time, some which use up a lot of Ram. At night, I will be streaming video, rendering video I've created, and playing games that need at least 30 FPS to run (my current workstation can only manage 3 FPS, don't ask!)

I'd appreciate any feedback you all here on Toms Forum can provide. I'm savvy, but haven't a purchased a new machine since 2006.

For a pre-built system, just about any of them will be in the same price for the same quality. Just depends on how much you want to spend. Many put in high end parts in one place (good video card and CPU) and cheapen out on motherboard and power supply.

I like xotic pc, probably as good as any place http://www.xoticpc.com/ the other players like Digital Storm http://www.digitalstorm.com/ Origin, etc.. are all OK to get also http://www.pcgamer.com/nine-custom-pc-builders-compared-who-gives-you-the-best-deal/

You will be spending about 25% or more for the same speed over building your own, especially if you select good parts rather than just use the stock ones they may offer.

Pandora20k

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Thanks for your input, Hang

I actually did order a custom pc from a vendor. Markups to cover the build of said machine, but I knew that was coming. I don't have the time or room to build, and it's been 20 years since I built something from scratch. Not a single item was not chosen by me, and the $300 markup is actually worth the time and extraordinary effort it would take me to try to do this myself in the tiny, tiny private area I have where I rent.

I got some super great advice about the parts from replies to my other threads and existing posts here on the forum, and I am sure glad I joined :)

I'll be getting the machine in a couple of weeks, and my only realistic concern is not the components, but the machine arriving unscathed from shipping.

I will of course open it up when it arrives and check all connections, etc.