144Hz monitor questions

JuicemanJones

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
I am about to build a pc and will be gaming avidly, with a Asus Strix GTX 970, is it be worth it to buy a 144hz monitor?

Solution
It depends. For example, in what resolution will you be gaming? I look at it this way:

If you are planning to be gaming on a 1440p monitor then the 144hz will probably not be worth it for now, as you will probably not hit high enough FPS on the gfx intense games. Your choice will be easy then.

However, if you will be staying on 1080p then you will have a lot of things to decide on. You can get a nice 1080p 144hz TN panel for a decent price, or you can try to find a 1080p IPS panel that suits your needs. I've got the GTX 970 as well and buying a new monitor right now is proving very tough indeed. So good luck!

MrDartay

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
It depends. For example, in what resolution will you be gaming? I look at it this way:

If you are planning to be gaming on a 1440p monitor then the 144hz will probably not be worth it for now, as you will probably not hit high enough FPS on the gfx intense games. Your choice will be easy then.

However, if you will be staying on 1080p then you will have a lot of things to decide on. You can get a nice 1080p 144hz TN panel for a decent price, or you can try to find a 1080p IPS panel that suits your needs. I've got the GTX 970 as well and buying a new monitor right now is proving very tough indeed. So good luck!

Solution

JuicemanJones

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

Thank you for your response, I ended up getting a BenQ XL2420Z ultimate esports gaming edition. I highly recommend it if it is in your budget ($400 new, I got a very slightly used one for 250). It omes with an adjustable stand, mic hook, and individualized settings for each game type.