Have 3 monitors but only 2 work together, sometimes.

r1e2x310

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2013
I have 3 monitors that used to work together fine. With my R9 280x Toxic
HDMI to HDMI
HDMI to active HDMI to miniDP adapter
DVI to passive DVI to miniP adapter

When all are plugged in on power up, all but the straight HDMI to HDMI works, and when that is removed and DVI connected screen tears and flashed and then stops and then the HDMI to miniDP goes black as well.

If the machine is powered on with only the HDMI to HDMI missing then the DVI goes to a Square resolution and the HDMI to miniDP looks normal.

I am currently running it with only the HDMI to HDMI and HDMI to miniDP plugged in and it has no problems, other than the blank screen

Any ideas on what could be breaking it?

PS. I use driver booster (http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php) to update drivers. I read somewhere when researching this issue that you should always download drivers yourself but have had no problem using this until now, if drivers are the problem.

Solution
at least you got it working. I get my drivers most of the time directly from the chipset manufacturer not the board\card manufacturer.

r1e2x310

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2013
Bought a new active adapter and it wasn't working or even detecting the third monitor, then I used quick-setup for AMD Eyefinity. Then it worked and was detected. So it's fixed now.