LG led tv issue: bottom part of screen is flashing like crazy. Please help!

TER809

Reputable
Mar 20, 2016
Hello,

I am experiencing an issue which is driving me mad. I own this tv (LG 42LM649S) for almost 3 years now with no problems whatsoever. However from yesterday it started flashing at the bottom part of the screen. I know it sounds quite strange, but here's the problem - the tv seems to be flashing the top part of the picture, in a constant on & off behaviour, at the bottom part of the screen. It flashes almost every 5 seconds, returning to normal picture in between.

I attached a video of the issue. As you can see, the top part of the picture is flashed at the bottom part of the screen (look at the bottom). I tried everything I could from the settings point of view: changing aspect ratio, turning energy saving off, adjusting resolution, etc, but the problem persists. And this problem is not only happening with my PC turned on, but on every other input. i.e. digital TV, DVD player, and so on. In short, it starts flashing as soon as I switch ON the tv.

Help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqJ_T2iLAbg"][/video]

Solution
Honestly, I don't know. The price and service can vary greatly from market to market.

Personally, I would tend to want to spend my money on a new device that has a full warranty.

Until you get an estimate, it is hard to give you a good recommendation.

TER809

Reputable
Mar 20, 2016

Hi. Thanks for your answer. Yes I tried switching HDMI ports and even replace them with new ones. To be honest I haven't tried switching on the TV with nothing connected to it (I will try it this afternoon), however I have tried switching on the TV with all the other inputs switched off. I have also tried resetting the picture and perform a 'factory reset', but the problem is still there.

I have a gaming PC connected to the TV via HDMI, and another HDMI (ARC) going out from the TV to my home cinema system. Apart from those I have an antenna cable connected to the TV and obviously the power supply. The thing is that sometimes the flashing doesn't show while watching digital TV (although most of the time it does), but it always does while using it as a monitor for my PC.

Do you thing it might be a capacitor problem? Thanks.

TER809

Reputable
Mar 20, 2016

Hello again. I tried disconnecting all devices as you said and at first it seemed to work. Then I connected all of them again and it still was ok. I switched my PC on and after 10mins the flashing started to appear again. I then started to disconnect all cables one by one, starting from the PC cable but it didn't make any difference. This is why I really cannot understand what's happening.

To be honest it was the first time that when I switched on the TV initially the problem did not appear at once. I also tried to disconnecting everything again but when I switched on the TV the flashing appeared instantaneously.

TER809

Reputable
Mar 20, 2016

Unfortunately the 2 year warranty period has expired, but I still took it to the official LG servicing shop. I just hope it won't be too expensive. Anyway, thanks for your help.

TER809

Reputable
Mar 20, 2016
Hello again. The servicing department have just informed that they are thinking that TV's panel is faulty. They are waiting to be informed on price and delivery time. From your experience, how much do you think a panel costs? And is it worth it to repair it?

Thanks

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Honestly, I don't know. The price and service can vary greatly from market to market.

Personally, I would tend to want to spend my money on a new device that has a full warranty.

Until you get an estimate, it is hard to give you a good recommendation.

Solution