My mechanical keyboard has stopped working on only one computer?

tjb1508

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Hi there,

On my main Windows 10 machine my mechanical keyboard has suddenly stopped working. The keyboard itself works perfectly fine on my other systems and laptops but seems to not work on my main one. The keyboard works on the bios screen and any other part of the start up except from the login screen which is when it seems to completely stop responding. Buttons such as caps lock and also the num-lock stop lighting up the LED's and no keys seem to work. The computer recognizes other keyboards, which is how I'm writing this post, but it seems that my expensive mechanical doesn't work on this specific machine.

The keyboard itself is one that only requires the HID Interface, so you just plug it in and it works and I've even tried uninstalling all keyboard drivers but this is still no help.

I'm not really quite sure what to do, seeing as the keyboard only seems to go wrong on this machine, and other keyboards work fine, so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

tjb1508

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

The keyboard is a Redragon Vara RGB. As far as I am aware it has no custom drivers.

Sorry for the late reply I was away from home with work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its the month of keyboards dying randomly, If it works on other pc's you might need to swap it with one of the keyboards that does work on your pc.

I think the last windows update did something as too many keyboards being reported in here recently to be a coincidence

take your time, im not going anywhere :)

tjb1508

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

Yes, I was suspicious about the "Critical Update" that was in my update history the morning that the keyboard stopped working. Do we have any comment from Microsoft about this? Is there any way to completely remove the HID drivers from the system and reinstall them? I'm absolutely desperate, as this keyboard is brand new and I love it to bits. As for swapping that's what I've done for the time being until there is another update to Windows; but I doubt that will be for a while.

Thank you for your help so far, its reassuring to know that there are others experiencing the same problems as me after this update. Hopefully Microsoft will release a bug fix for this.

Thanks again.

tjb1508

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Thank you so so much. This is so much better now I can actually type on this thing again. You have saved my bacon my friend.

It was a wrong driver that was being used, this time it was the bodec controller I think, but I changed it to the default one and hey presto it works again. Thanks so much once again. (shame I lost all my data mind but oh well)
Thank you!