Lost administrator rights, can't enter safe mode, windows 10

kengbee

Reputable
Sep 27, 2015
I took off admin rights on accident while going thru some configurations now I don't have access to most of my computer and I can't download anything or update anything. I have tried many options to enter safe mode to fix this issue but have failed many times due to not being able to have admin access.

Options I have tried:

1. Manage another account thru "User Accounts", I can't even get passed that part without having admin access, it says I need admin rights and to enter password, except there is no option to type in a password with the "yes" greyed out. (This account is my only account on this computer)

2. Tried Shift+Restart to enter recovery mode, but when I enter recovery mode the only option I get is to "Turn off PC", there is no troubleshoot option to click.

3. I tried to use the Run option netplwiz but I need admin rights to enter.

4. I tried a method to force the user account to be admin from cmd prompt /U %username% /F %USERPROFILE% /R /SKIPSL /P (password)

5. I tried going into Update & Security, clicked "Restart Now" to enter the blue recover page but as stated before, the only option I get is to "Turn off PC".

6. Tried msconfig on Run but need admin access to enter.

7. Tried cmd prompt: bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy, but it says access denied.

I do not have a Windows 10 boot disk, I previously had Windows 7 and got the free upgrade. I can't even back-up and restore to Win-7 without admin. Win-7 I could've just press F8 at start-up and all this would've been done with. Someone please help I am at a complete loss because all the options I have found have come to failure for me. All I want is administrator back or if i can get to safe mode then I can fix this.

Solution
Safe mode won't help; all it does is load Windows with the most basic drivers so that you can diagnose error messages caused by third-party programs or drivers.

You may want to try a System Restore assuming you have a restore point prior to the account deletion. Windows creates a restore point every time new updates are installed and usually when a new program is installed. Failing that, a rebuild is your only option.

If you are forced to rebuild, get the PC to a basic working state and then take an image using Backup and Restore.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Safe mode won't help; all it does is load Windows with the most basic drivers so that you can diagnose error messages caused by third-party programs or drivers.

You may want to try a System Restore assuming you have a restore point prior to the account deletion. Windows creates a restore point every time new updates are installed and usually when a new program is installed. Failing that, a rebuild is your only option.

If you are forced to rebuild, get the PC to a basic working state and then take an image using Backup and Restore.

Solution