Dell laptop unexpected shutdown after connecting to Samsung smart TV

Htheone215

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
Sorry for a long post...

I usually connect my dell Inspiron 15r n5110 into my Samsung smart TV to watch movies and shows. I recently backed up my hard drive and completely formatted the drive and fresh installed windows 10 onto it.

It worked a bit dodgy at first as it was on a 1024x768 resolution but it can go up to 1366x768 so I restarted to make sure it was a one time thing but it started with the lower resolution after when I approach the browser to download any video driver it suddenly switched to 1366x768 resolution just in case I downloaded the Intel graphics driver from dells website but when I ran it the program said I have a version newer than that which I'm downloading so I left it. Then I went to the nvidia website to download the graphics driver and chose a clean installation.

I restarted and tried to open gta 4 which opened until I was prompted to my character and then the laptop suddenly shut down. I thought I was done for but the laptop restarted with no problems. I tried another 2 times before giving as I thought it was a glitch with the modding.

The laptop worked normally as I opened chrome and it ran for the hours I was on it. Then I decided to watch a movie on TV so I connected the Hdmi cable on my hdmi3/dvi connection and started the movie. 1 minute into the movie the laptop suddenly shuts down.

I was confused and thought maybe i should Install the nvidia graphics driver again and leaving intel HD graphics alone but the same problem persisted over and over.

Note: I plug it and run the movie without viewing it on the TV and it just kept running I don't know what was happening as the laptop screen was shut but when I disconnected the movie was 3 minutes in and still running.

Any help is appreciated and sorry for the long post.

Hi,

I would suggest doing a clean install of the Nvidia graphics driver using this procedure below.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot your PC once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do set Nvidia as the default GPU.
- Here's how: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings%3F

Hopefully this will help. :)