Monitor start blinking black screen after ~15mins of playing games

Kasin22

Honorable
Mar 21, 2016
Hello,

I've recently bought a new 23" HP Compaq LA2306x monitor for my Lenovo Y50-70 laptop. Connected it via HDMI (from laptop) to DVI (monitor) cable and at first it seemed to worked flawlessly from the very beginning. And still works, until I run a game. I've tried playing Dishonored, which works flawlessly at highest resolution and medium/high graphic quality settings on my laptop, but after about 15 minutes the screen went completely black for about a second or two, and then turned back to normal. As if the power cable was plugged out for a second. After that it happens more and more often until the game is practically unplayable. In Portal 2 it doesn't seem to happen so often, but still does. When I browse the web, watch movies etc. everything works perfectly.

My laptop is getting warm after playing, but since I have a cooling pad under him, and it never caused any screen freezes or framerate drops, while using my laptop's screen it was never a problem to me. I play at the exact same graphic settings as before. Is it because of the overheating? The graphic card is too weak? Problem with the cable?

My specs:

nVidia GeForce GTX 860M
Intel Core i7-4710HQ @ 2.50 GHz
Monitor's refresh rate: 60 Hz

T0m_J0nes

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
I recommend that you download speccy and let that run on your computer as that will bring up accurate temperature readings and if your looking at on 70 degrees Celsius then the problem would most likely be caused by the excessive temperature at which I recommend taking the bottom of the laptop off to try that and if that does work then you could keep it like that or get a better cooling device.

T0m_J0nes

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

Well then!! I think my Dad's must be a special one :) Although it doesn't work any more. But I must confess that I am not a laptop expert!!