Does anyone know?

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this, not sure where this would belong really but if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

I'm having a dispute with the people who sold me a tablet, they say they shipped it, I never got it, the delivery company says it was delivered at my front door, it wasn't there.

I suspect it was stolen off my doorstep. Common occurrence right? But now I'm in a dispute with the company, who I won't name.. yet. In getting another one shipped out to me. The conversation with customer service got a bit heated.

So for me it comes down to this, is there no way they can determine if the tablet has been activated and traced? I mean they don't want to ship me out another one because they're saying it was delivered, I'm trying to explain I never got it and maybe they can catch whoever took the thing by tracing the serial number to whoever registered the device... it's an android so I'd assume whoever has it would have to log in via google or whatever to use the thing. Am I wrong in thinking they can somehow figure out where it ended up?

We can land men on the moon but they can't trace the missing tablet... I mean they do document the Serial number for warranty purposes right? So what's the problem?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can clear it up for me.

Solution
I would tell the company you purchased this through that being you didn't get the package you are not responsible for it and not paying for it. Let them work with the shipper that is why they have insurance on items. This is one area where you should request a signature required. Then if they leave it on your door step it is 100% someone elses fault.

lantrich

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
I don't think the seller documents the serial number. They rely on the shipping company to show the item was delivered. A point in fact is that if you don't require a signature on delivery they can't be held responsible. You should get a police report for the theft.Only you register the tablet by the serial number.

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015

See that's confusing because I know, Newegg, not the vendor in question on this just to be clear, but I know Newegg documents the serial number for warranty and return purposes. So if this company doesn't take down the serial number off the box, any buy could effectively return a device that isn't the original one from the box. So you can buy a 32gb tablet and return a used 8gb of the same model and they would not be the wiser? I don't think so.

I know I might be overthinking this a bit, but it just seems strange that any vendor would ship something to you which you could then pull a scam with, so for their own protection it's in their interest to document the serial number, especially with a company which has a return policy and offers extended warranties on the electronics they sell. It just doesn't seem right to me that they wouldn't have the ability to track it down if they were inclined to do so.

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015

The tracking number says where it was through it's shipping process and a notation, Delivered: left at front door. as the last entry. Doesn't really help much but give date and time it was left at front door.

EDIT: for the record it's UPS.

D

Deleted member 217926

I believe your dispute is with whomever delivered the tablet. Tracking should show exactly when it was delivered and were it was left. I don't know how newegg or any other retailer could be held responsible if it wasn't there. And no they wouldn't have a record of any number beyond their own internal stock number. Useless for your purposes.

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015

If it were up to me it would have required a signature, but the vendor who I bought it from didn't even offer that as an option. I would have paid 5 bucks more on the shipping because I know I don't sit home all day long waiting for deliveries, and I figure I only missed it's arrival by 2 hours at the most. It was delivered and about 1.5 - 2 hours later I was home and it wasn't at my door.

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
This kind of thing happened to me once before about 8 years ago, bought some PC hardware through Amazon, the package was worth about 800 bucks, Amazon stood by it, I know not everyone is Amazon/Newegg but I would think there'd be some arrangement between a company and it's shipping company for when things like this happen. I mean it's a 200 dollar tablet, not a 1200 one.

rgd1101

Don't
I had that happened before, you need to contact the seller, they will have to work with UPS and figure out where did they actual left the package.
For me, the driver left it at the wrong door, and the package was never found.

D

Deleted member 217926

Right so you need to contact UPS. I'm not sure they can do anything to help but they are more responsible than whomever you bought it from.

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015

That makes no sense for one simple reason, I didn't pick UPS as the shipper, it's the shipper the vendor uses, so it would seem to me to be the vendors problem at that point. Could have shipped it USPS, theft from a mailbox is a federal crime, much more secure in my view. Our mailboxes are steel reinforced and I'd bet the tablet box would have fit in the mailbox slot and if it didn't they have the "delivery" sized box where they drop the key to that in your mail box to open and get your package when you check your mail.

Point is, I think this starts and ends at the vendor.

I would tell the company you purchased this through that being you didn't get the package you are not responsible for it and not paying for it. Let them work with the shipper that is why they have insurance on items. This is one area where you should request a signature required. Then if they leave it on your door step it is 100% someone elses fault.

Solution

Dom_79

Distinguished
@OP

Any chance you paid for this with a credit card? Often you have recourse through them for theft. You'll need to file a report with the police but you at least have an avenue to get your money back.