Question About 4k PC Monitors

James Fullard

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
Curious if anyone has suggestions on which 4k monitor is best for PC gaming, I am thinking of running 2 of them as well. Thinking to look for 24 inch monitors but for sure want them to be 4k enabled. Any suggestions? I figure if anyone knows this place does.

PS: I am asking here because WHEN I go to buy me 2 monitors I don't want to buy the wrong ones. Looking for 4k monitors that are not sky priced as well. Suggestions?

Solution
I'm 1,5 feet from a 32" 1080 (primary), and 6 foot away from a 78" 1080, I have no complaints. I actually want a way bigger screen. Unfortunately my projector can only do so much at that distance.

There's definitely not any rules when it comes to viewing distance, even after you factor in visual acuity. It's literally preference. However, expect to use DPI scaling which removes small details becuse its no longer 1:1 pixel mapped, and expect to run into DPI scaling issues, because 4k is just a niche, app devs and game devs (seperating the two), don't prioritize 4k. Buy a magnifying glass if you'll go true 1:1 at 24".

At above, you're not seeing pixels. First of its called the pixel structure (black spacing between), and second, you're...

SlayerWezz

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
I just recently bought a 28" 4k Monitor. It is the Samsung UE590 from Best Buy. They even price matched tigerdirect.com for $449.99, which is honestly a great price for 28". I know you said you wanted to get a 24" but I thought I would just let you know about this one. It is great for gaming since it has a 1m/s response time which was actually the only 4k Monitor Best Buy had that was under 5m/s. I have been using this monitor as my main display and then 2 other 1920 x 1080p monitors and have had no complaints so far. The only thing I have to say though is use a display port CABLE not an adaptor. The adaptor will cause most windows to flicker on the screen.

James Fullard

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
Can you explain a little more about when you said use a display port CABLE not an adaptor? Kinda not sure what ya meant on that. I will keep this monitor in mind though.

Currently my gaming set up is pretty epic (in my opinion) hehe. The LCD's I am using now are both 42" Sony Bravia's 1080p. Don't get me wrong, its pretty epic with online gaming BUT being honest, 42" is a little overkill plus for serious gaming they are just too large. I use my primary for my game and the #2 for keeping the net and my stream and such pulled up at all times. I might keep my #2 42" as is and just change over to something like this for my primary game monitor.

This is my current set up more or less and yea 42" is too much.
10320910_10203591298200421_7236354792918941076_o_zpshpdakhyf.jpg

SlayerWezz

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016
When I first got the monitor I used just a 4k ready HDMI cable to go from my GPU to the monitor, but found out that my card only supports up to 30hz at 4k with HDMI (which is way too choppy for me to even bare). So I then got a Display Port to HDMI adaptor which got me up to 60hz but I then was experiencing flickering issues due to the adaptor. To fix this I just had to get an actual Display Port cable and no longer have any issues.

dexter2

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
I wouldn't even consider purchasing a 4k panel only at 24". There is a good article you can read which I unfortunately cannot find, but the synopsis is that sitting 1 foot away from your monitor (whatever resolution) and the monitor is 23" then you are at the optimal setting for your eyes, as they do not have to move too much, otherwise would be fatigued. However, this can be altered to your own needs. If you sit further away from your monitors, you can have bigger monitors. Although, I personally sit 2 feet away from my 23" 1080p monitor, and can still identify individual pixels. But, overall, as always, it boils down to personal-preference.

I'm 1,5 feet from a 32" 1080 (primary), and 6 foot away from a 78" 1080, I have no complaints. I actually want a way bigger screen. Unfortunately my projector can only do so much at that distance.

There's definitely not any rules when it comes to viewing distance, even after you factor in visual acuity. It's literally preference. However, expect to use DPI scaling which removes small details becuse its no longer 1:1 pixel mapped, and expect to run into DPI scaling issues, because 4k is just a niche, app devs and game devs (seperating the two), don't prioritize 4k. Buy a magnifying glass if you'll go true 1:1 at 24".

At above, you're not seeing pixels. First of its called the pixel structure (black spacing between), and second, you're seeing the flaws of the OS. There's a set standard for program icons, etc. I'll be happy to do the math if you give me your visual acuity, to find out if there's any truth in what you're claiming.

All the best!

Solution