Random BSOD and freezing after a recent OS update (Windows 10)

zZDoremonZz

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Error shown is Video_TDR_Failure (NVLDDMKM.SYS). I got that BSOD only one time, every other time the VGA just started stuttering gradually, eventually coming into a halt and then a forced reboot.

I'm pretty sure this was caused by one of the update that Microsoft forces me to install because these kind of problems have never happened before, which you can see here https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bc0ouh6tpqe25j/New%20Bitmap%20Image.jpg?dl=0
(Dunno why img bbcode doesn't work for me)
IMO I think it's because of KB3141032. I could be wrong though

And here's the minidump file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n05fw06qmzsvbtm/031916-31390-01.dmp?dl=0

A clean install of the newest driver doesn't work either.

Right now I've just uninstalled the newest Nvidia driver that I installed in a panic and reversed back to 355.98 (cleaned with DDU) but the damned problem still persists. Anyone got any idea what's wrong with it?

(Original thread was in Windows 10 subforum but it wasn't getting a whole lot of attention there so I figured I might as well try my luck in this subs to see if there's anyone getting the same problem as mine)

Thanks in advance!

Solution

Of course not. In my case it just caused a NIC to stop working. The point was reverting did not resolve an issue for me while in that case re-installing did. The exact symptoms would have been relevant if either of us had made mention of a fix designed for those exact symptoms.
driver cleaners don't really work. All of them are variously levels of 'screw your system up'. They do the equivalent of this:
Screw a piece of wood on to your wall. Then use their tool to guess where all the screws were and when it thinks it is done pretend that the board was never there. When in reality it was and there will be screw holes and likely other debris. Best case scenario is it "might" remove the driver completely but even then it won't undo the changes the driver made.

Since you think it was by a specific update the test is simple. Revert to a restore point prior to that update.

I had an issue with my NIC driver on one install of Win 10 where the only fix was to format the drive, re-install Win7 and upgrade to Win10 again. I believe that the ISO I got on the 2nd upgrade was not the same. Regardless it resolved my issue and I reapplied all the updates including the one I was suspicious of and everything worked.

This doesn't always work. It did not fix my NIC driver issue. I tried multiple restore points older than the issue. Re-installing windows 7 and upgrading again did resolve it.

Of course not. In my case it just caused a NIC to stop working. The point was reverting did not resolve an issue for me while in that case re-installing did. The exact symptoms would have been relevant if either of us had made mention of a fix designed for those exact symptoms.

Solution