Solved

Can I Activate Newly Installed Windows 10 With Win 8.1 Pro Product Key?

Hello,

I created the installation file for windows 10 via the microsoft website...

I have an unused Win 8.1 Pro Product Key... Can I activate my Windows 10 with it?

Thank you
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about activate newly installed windows win pro product key
  1. Best answer
    GreyPhantom said:
    Hello,

I have an unused Win 8.1 Pro Product Key... Can I activate my Windows 10 with it?

Thank you

Assuming a valid Win 8.1 license, and assuming a recent (after November 2015) download of Win 10...yes.
    The most recent build 1511 - 10586...allows you to activate a clean Win 10 install with a relevant, qualifying, Win 7 or 8.1 license key.
  2. USAFRet said:
    GreyPhantom said:
    Hello,

Thank you

Assuming a valid Win 8.1 license, and assuming a recent (after November 2015) download of Win 10...yes.
    The most recent build 1511 - 10586...allows you to activate a clean Win 10 install with a relevant, qualifying, Win 7 or 8.1 license key.

When i downloaded the media creation tool from the microsoft website, i had 3 Windows 10 downloading options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 N
    Windows 10 Home Single Language...

This confused me because Win 8.1 Pro is supposed to be upgradable to Windows 10 Pro...

So i downloaded the closest option "Windows 10"... And after the download was done there was a message saying i need a windows 10 product key to activate windows 10.

However, yes i do have a valid Windows 8.1 Pro Key, given by a friend... So, it should work in activating Windows 10 and upgrading it to Pro?
  3. the answer is yes only windows 8.0 was killed off with no win 10 upgrade option
  4. Yes, this should work.
  5. GreyPhantom said:
    USAFRet said:
    GreyPhantom said:
    Hello,

Thank you

When i downloaded the media creation tool from the microsoft website, i had 3 Windows 10 downloading options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 N
    Windows 10 Home Single Language...

This confused me because Win 8.1 Pro is supposed to be upgradable to Windows 10 Pro...

So i downloaded the closest option "Windows 10"... And after the download was done there was a message saying i need a windows 10 product key to activate windows 10.

However, yes i do have a valid Windows 8.1 Pro Key, given by a friend... So, it should work in activating Windows 10 and upgrading it to Pro?

It should work. Just check that that is not a key he upgraded or is otherwise using.
Ask a new question

Read More

windows 10 VIA Win 8.1 Microsoft windows 8.1 pro