Sound distortion happening randomly after downloading new software

yogi_dmt

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
I have a custom built computer that i've been using for almost 2 years now and i've never had this problem. Recently i upgraded to windows 10 (all the drivers are up to date according to device manager). The problem didn't start until a few weeks later when i downloaded some poker software. What happens is i'll restart the computer and the sound will be fine for a while. Then at some point usually within an hour or two of use the sound will start to crackle and distort at times. The weird thing is, besides it only happening after a certain period of time, there's really no logic i can see to when and how bad the sound will "fizzle" if you will. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's only a little bit, other time it will go crazy. As far as i know my hardware is all fine and the app in question fairly reputable and widely used. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

cosmoji

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
it could be failing hardware. maybe this software was just a coincidence. the "fizzle" could start as the component heats up from running, expanding, and maybe causing connection issues in cracked solder points. have you tried an alternative sound source like a sound card or something usb? im assuming your speaker/headset is hooked up to onboard audio jacks, but whatever hardware its using could be failing, so try a different one.

yogi_dmt

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Tried playing through the case's audio jack and the results were the same. Now that you mention it the heating up part makes sense though.