Build my own desk help

kampy4

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
Hey guys I want to build my own desk because the prebuilt ones are too expensive and I just can't seem to find one that really draws my attention. So the desk I want will just be a regular desk, no L-shape, or stand-up desk. Also, it'll be 5ft long, and 2 to 2 1/2ft wide. It has to be wooden too because my room is like hunting theme. Also I will be gaming on this desk, so it has to have a spot for a desktop computer(honestly I was thinking of putting on top of my desk with the window of the case facing towards me...). Any suggestions welcome!!! Thank you!!! Feel free to ask me questions too.

Solution
if you have a wood shop look around for places like town trash yards where they drop off old trees. look for the old maple/oak/elm if it big and round and has worm holes...it make a great table top. if you can or know someone that can make a few nice board feet for you. plane the wood even use cast iron to strap/screw the table wood together. for legs use i beam cast iron or pipes.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/34199278395734011/
if you have a wood shop look around for places like town trash yards where they drop off old trees. look for the old maple/oak/elm if it big and round and has worm holes...it make a great table top. if you can or know someone that can make a few nice board feet for you. plane the wood even use cast iron to strap/screw the table wood together. for legs use i beam cast iron or pipes.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/34199278395734011/

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Just get a standard stock door (e.g., 30" wide) without a pre-drilled hole for the door handle. You can easily cut out and re-use the bottom framing to make the door shorter. Might find a blemished door at a lumber yard or big box lumber place.

Place the door across two sawhorses or file cabinets. Or make iron pipe legs per the previous post. Just brace securely.

And discount stores, Goodwill stores, Salvation Army, etc. often have nice desks available for reasonable pricing. (Will concede that reasonable is subjective and relative.)

Lots of online DIY examples: just google "homemade desks DIY" words like that.