Weird problem with shadows (BenQ XL2420T)

Skraelos

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2016
Hello there.
First of all, I'd like to eliminate any questions like 'are you sure the monitor is the culprit'. I'm 100% certain of that, since this problem appeared on different videocards and also appeared while connected to PS3. Both HDMI ports and DL-DVI port too.

The problem itself:
I am pretty sure that most of it would be described by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdGvwfPZBkU

Actually, I recorded it while trying to fix my PS3 upscaling issue, but I have a feeling that this PS3 issue is directly related to the shadowing problem. As you can see, the problem is obvious on the sword/shield and sometimes armor too. What is not that obvious is the flickering on the small details, like face/hair. I have a feeling those happen a lot more while being exposed to direct light rays, so, in effect, this might be just a different manifestation of the shadows problem.

And here's a screenshot from a PC game: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/578990280255425968/C8ED1EF2AE176CDF8ED5114B14A446BDC85C065D/

Actually, I am a bit hesitant to just post this screenshot without any precaution... To me it seems really, REALLY strange that those lines are visible on the SCREENSHOT. I mean... This problem happened with two different videocards in this game, and I am 100% certain that this isn't 'how the game is' - I played it on a completely different machine with a different monitor and it didn't look that way. So, I don't really understand how can a SCREENSHOT actually contain the problem of the monitor that shows the picture. When this bright thought appeared in my mind, I started doubting: maybe I see that shadowing problem on my own screenshot on that same monitor, but other people see a perfectly fine screenshot without that problem? Anyway, you are warned. (And I would really like to hear some technical explanation in layman's terms regarding why does the screenshot contain the monitor's problem).

Another important piece of information: I've tried calibrating my monitor with various tools, this one website was really great. However, I found some strange results with one of the tests, and I have a feeling that those results MIGHT be somehow related to the shadowing problem. I'm talking about this test: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php

According to the test (the bottom of the page), with correct sharpness the picture should look monotonous from afar (or with eyes squinted). However, I get the following results:

Sharpness 6-10: I get the exact picture listed as 'What it should not look like -- Sharpness too high'.
Sharpness 0-4: I get the exact picture listed as 'What it should not look like -- Sharpness too low'.

However, with Sharpness 5 I DO NOT get the picture listed as 'What it should look like'. The vast majority of squares on that picture do indeed blend together, however the problematic squares are those with 'fatter' lines, for example (row/column): 1/4, 1/6, 2/2, 2/4, 3/2, 3/6 etc.

So... Faulty monitor or possible to solve that, somehow? This is driving me crazy. I've tried everything by now. HDMI full/limited range only matters for HDMI (thus PS3) cable, and I've already tried that too. All possible modes, various enhancers on/off - been there, tried that.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Solution
alright i get it that that could be annoying try the following.

1) play the game with the monitor on factory preferences(standart)
2) try it with different games it might be the game
3) try it with another hdmi cable

if the problem still accors on 3 different games than your monitor is faulthy indeed.
alright i get it that that could be annoying try the following.

1) play the game with the monitor on factory preferences(standart)
2) try it with different games it might be the game
3) try it with another hdmi cable

if the problem still accors on 3 different games than your monitor is faulthy indeed.

Solution