Getting a M.2 SSD, Still use old Sata 2 HDD, have questions about windows/reformatting/etc.

Fubar231

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
So heres my specs just so people know
I also posted this in The Storage section for Computer Parts, I wasnt sure where to post this.

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
intel i5 6600k unlocked Skylake
( 4 x 8 GB ) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHZ (Running @ 3000 not 2133)
EvGA nVidia GeForce GTX 960 FTW+ ACX 2.0+ 4GB DDR5
Antec 750W PowerSupply (From my old PC, Just built this rig a week ago)
Samung HD502HI (My 500gb Sata HDD)

This is the hard drive im getting tomorrow (Well probably later today now)
Samsung 850 EVO M.2 Series 500GB SATA III M.2 Internal Solid State Drive Single Unit Version MZ-N5E500BW

My question is, I want to run Windows and my Installed games on my SSD, and use my old HDD as a storage. When it comes to putting my new hard drive in, and formatting it, and whatnot, should i reformat BOTH drives, or can i switch my windows files over to it, and just uninstall/reinstall games to the new SSD?

Basically, should i reformat both the SSD and HHD, or can i put the SSD in and move my Windows files to it without having to reformat or have any issues.

Thanks,
Shane

You should reinstall Windows on the SSD without the other disk in the machine, and only after installing put in the old disk. You will need to reinstall, but if it's steam/origin, it can be reinstalled without re-downloading if you just copy the files.

Fubar231

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
So, I put the M.2 SSD in and install windows 7, then upgrade to 10, then install all the Direct X and Visual C++ Runtime Packages, and most recent drivers and stuff, and all those goodies?? Then put the old hard drive back in and remove all the windows files and crap off of that hard drive? Even if i have to use a program like Unlocker to delete the files or is there a better way at deleting old Windows files from other hard drives?

If you already installed and activated Windows 10 on that machine, you only need to install Windows 10 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10). In fact, don't bother with 7 unless you have activation problems!

Also, drivers first, system updates second, and only after that games.

If your files fit in your SSD, you might as well just format the HDD and start fresh, if not, all you need to do is right click on "D:/Windows" (drive letter may be different, D is most common) and delete, then go to the disk manager and delete the boot partition on that drive (not the SSD one, or else you will need to repair install Windows again!)

Fubar231

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
I dont have a Windows 10 disc, so i have to do the Upgrade...

And im not sure if i activated it, but I can activate it tonight if have too, and download it to a USB and install it off there if i can do that from my Asus Mobo with Win 10? And theres files on the other hard drive id like to keep, and i dont have a good way of backing files up right now.

Fubar231

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
Im using the Creation Tool and making a Win 10 thing on my USB drive now, when im installing it (I cant remember if i activated between installing 7 and 10 and whatnot), can i use my CD-Key from 7? Or will it automatically make sure my craps authenticated. (II just cant remember if I did or not)

Sorry its 3 am here and I posted that question before i hit the link.

If you already activated (right click on the start icon, then go to system, and it'll say if it is on the bottom), you shouldn't need to put in anything. If not, you can put in the CD key during or after install.

Fubar231

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
Yeah it says Windows is Activated, thanks for all your help man! Im new to the forum, any way to + your Username? For rep or anything like other forums.

There can be other stuff on the Flash Drive right? As long as whatever the windows stuff puts there is on the main/root part of the drive? Or should i move everything off it onto the PC, since itll be there on the other HDD anyways.

I suggest starting off with a clean flash drive, but you should definitely add drivers and such after making the installer.

As for +1 or anything, no need, I'm usually around the Win8/10, components, accessories, and camera sections, so you can always find my name if you need to shoot me a message

Fubar231

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
Awesome thanks a lot, theres a folder on the flash driver but ill delete it after this windows thing is done installing to it. Guess I shouldnt grab my drivers and put them on the flash drive then.

Fubar231

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
Ok actually so im looking at SSD's, and would it be better to get this the 256gb PCIe SSD over the 500gb Sata 3 SSD ? I can use my 500gb HDD for storage and keep just windows and my current games on my 256/500 which i plan on doing...

Samsung 950 Pro 256GB PCIe Gen 3.0 M.2 Internal Solid State Drive
Samsung 850 EVO M.2 Series 500GB SATA III M.2 Internal Solid State Drive Single Unit Version
Read Speed Up to 2200MBps Up to 540MBps
Write Speed Up to 900MBps Up to 500MBps

The PCIe one obviously has the faster speeds.

Faster speeds doesn't mean it'll increase performance for you. Most people will do better with a larger SATA drive than a smaller PCIe one. Unless you know you need PCIe for a particular program, get the larger SATA drive