Need help choosing between 3 1151 mobos Thanks!

apachehavok

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Hey all!

Currently have a x58 system still rocking hard. i7 950 OC'd to 4.3ghz on water. Asus x58 Sabertooth motherboard still as stable as can be!!

Time to upgrade. Any advice between these 3 boards? THANKS!

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA 1151 - Love my ASUS from the years of reliability but TONS of reviews on newegg show both this and other 1151 ASUS boards are not doing so hot right now. I am most familiar with ASUS as I have used them for the past 15 years or so.

GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming GT (rev. 1.0) - Have a Gigabyte in my AMD based media center and the thing seems stable and rock solid. Never used Gigabyte on a main machie before though so unfamiliar.

ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ - Is this thing too good to be true? I mean the features are absolutely insane and it seems (seems) to use high end components. I have always though of asrock as the crap cheap brand but have things changed? Is this really an awesome board or has the features blinded me?

I will be installing windows 7 FIRST on the machine, activating, updating to 10, the clean installing 10. So the board needs to at least be able to install windows 7 for a short time enough to get the free upgrade.

Thanks all!!

With all do respect, I don't know why you would need a motherboard that says gaming when it really doesn't do much for gaming in reality.

All three of those boards are around 230.00 dollars top if not more other than newegg.com.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130892
Same Z7170 chipset just like the other atx boards but more compact and you can still sli if thats what your going for.
Save some money on motherboard cost and put the other 100 towards something else.

If your still content on going for the boards you want, choose gigabyte, that company does better on intel platforms and technicians there are helpfull.
Just remember if you sli use the same card in both slots otherwise you won't get the same speeds screen size ratio or fps when you display on 2 monitors.

apachehavok

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Thanks for the response!
I actually need all the SATA ports I can get and that is why I am hovering around the boards that go for around the 200ish range (8-10 +)

I don't use SLI and never will and have a single Titan X. The main reason between those boards is also layout (I run a full open loop water cooling system)

Don't need compact as its in a huge 750D.

Thanks for the recommendation on Gigabyte though! So far +1 for the Gigabyte.

lakimens

Honorable
I would have to vote for ASUS, I do not use their motherboards, because I have a cheap one from Gigabyte $40, but if I were to get an expensive motherboard for gaming I'd go for one of the ROG boards.

Ok then I see why you needed the atx board but yeah go with gigabyte.
I used them for the LGA775 and LGA 1125 and don't have much of a problem other than it dying 2 years later after the warrenty ends.
Before you spend the money check around the online stores and see if you can score one for under 200 bucks. :)

lakimens

Honorable

LGA 1125, first time hearing of it.
Is it a typo?

apachehavok

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Yeah I can get the Gigabyte one for under $200 prob, but my Asus has lasted me for almost 8 years no with a HEAVY OC with zero issues.

I'm going to read more reviews on that Gigabyte. Thanks for the recommendation!

Anyone have any thoughts on the ASROCK one? Seems like you get the same stuff as a $600 board with that one!

Yeah lga 1155 busy working at the moment, slipped my mind for a second while replying. >_>

Apache choose what has been good to you over the years, personally if it was me going back to intel again.
I would go with gigabyte or asrock as my secondary choice for motherboards on the intel side.

Good luck with your purchase.