Headphone volume is way too loud in windows, even with an external usb sound card.

bradforj287

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
I have a pair of Bose QC2 headphones and the volume is WAY too loud in windows on all jacks:

I have tried the following jacks:

* speaker out on back of motherboard
* headphone out
* external USB sound card (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM883BK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00)

In each case, even a windows volume setting of 1/100 is a little too loud. Using the same headphones on my macbook pro the lowest volume is MUCH lower.

Is there any way to reduce the volume levels? I'm debating purchasing a more expensive external sound card that has a volume knob.

Solution
Could you please state your full systems specs? If you're on a laptop please pass on the make and model number. On that note, have you made sure your BIOS and device drivers(name chipset and sound) are up to date? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your sound card drivers(not the external USB powered audio card)?

If your motherboard is powered by a Realtek audio chip then it's a well documented issue with users on the same platform and device. There are a couple of work arounds while one of them is to install your audio drivers in compatibility mode:
Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows 7/8[from drop down menu]

Lutfij

Titan
Could you please state your full systems specs? If you're on a laptop please pass on the make and model number. On that note, have you made sure your BIOS and device drivers(name chipset and sound) are up to date? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your sound card drivers(not the external USB powered audio card)?

If your motherboard is powered by a Realtek audio chip then it's a well documented issue with users on the same platform and device. There are a couple of work arounds while one of them is to install your audio drivers in compatibility mode:
Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows 7/8[from drop down menu]

Solution