Keep Windows 10 After Motherboard Swap

Buggu

Reputable
May 21, 2015
Hello,

I bought an OEM windows 10 key in the middle of 2015 and I am using it fine. In a few days I might undergo a motherboard swap. Will I need to buy a new key? I will be swapping mobo, GPU, and case. although the latter won't be an issue (to my knowledge).

Solution
Should have gone with retail key, if you intended to upgrade motherboard.
Then you would be able to transfer license to new computer (new motherboard = new computer as microsoft sees it).
But this doesn't work with OEM licenses.
You will have to buy a new windows license for your new computer.
Should have gone with retail key, if you intended to upgrade motherboard.
Then you would be able to transfer license to new computer (new motherboard = new computer as microsoft sees it).
But this doesn't work with OEM licenses.
You will have to buy a new windows license for your new computer.

Solution
I have had mixed results with Microsoft in the past. When I had to replace a motherboard due to failure, it only took a phone call to their activation line to get Windows activated. Upgrading though is a mixed bag, I'd say 50% of the time, they have helped me activate it. So they do understand sometimes that people can't afford to buy multiple copies. The other 50%, they didn't care and left me having to buy a new copy.

You can try deactivating Windows and attempt to reinstall on the new mobo, then if it gives you a problem activating...a call to MS and hope you get someone understanding.