After Changing Permissions I still can't delete files on Windows 10

colonelcorn

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
I cloned my boot hdd to an external drive and deleted enough files to clone the original to an ssd. The system runs fine on the ssd and I changed permissions to be able to format the original hdd. I want to delete the windows files from the external drive before I clone my files back, I changed permissions for the files yet it won’t let me delete them. It asks for administrator permission, I select continue, then it brings up the message that I need permission from my own desktop. Not sure what to do.

Solution
Hello colonelcorn

If the drive on your external HDD where Windows folder is present doesn't have any important data, you can go to Disk Management from the Computer Management snap-in and delete the entire volume from there.

If the above fails to work, Starting Windows 10 in Safe Mode and then removing the folder might help.

Alternatively, you can also use any free third-party program such as Any File Deleter, FileASSASSIN, Ccleaner, etc. to remove the stubborn files/folders/drives forcefully.

Hope this helps. Cheers!! :)
Hello colonelcorn

If the drive on your external HDD where Windows folder is present doesn't have any important data, you can go to Disk Management from the Computer Management snap-in and delete the entire volume from there.

If the above fails to work, Starting Windows 10 in Safe Mode and then removing the folder might help.

Alternatively, you can also use any free third-party program such as Any File Deleter, FileASSASSIN, Ccleaner, etc. to remove the stubborn files/folders/drives forcefully.

Hope this helps. Cheers!! :)

Solution