Wi-Fi starts to become unstable around 6pm daily.

siwibu

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
My Wi-Fi has had issues for the past few months with disconnected after 5-6pm. I have contacted my ISP several time and each time they have told me the problem is on my part but I cannot seem to figure out what's wrong with my computer. I reset it to factory settings and installed anti-malware programs. I have an Acer Inspiron E15. When I say unstable I mean the wifi will shut off at random times, go down to two bars, slow down so far it can't be used, etc. Please help this issue is getting very annoying. Is it a virus? A problem with a computer?

charliewhiskey

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
It sounds like the radio frequency is being drowned by an natural increase in RF noise at that time of day. Do you live in a populated area? Have you tried to scan for a better signal at that time?

In Windows 10 the clever devils at Microsoft have changed an esoteric default deep in the weeds of the Power applet of the Control Panel. Go to Control Panel -> Power Options applet -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Setting Mode. Change both settings there to Maximum Performance. That fixed the problem for me.
This setting didn't even exist in Windows 7 and earlier. It was added in 8 but the default was Maximum Performance. In Windows 10 though they MS did it's deed and changed it to Medium Power Setting. That works fine if you're in the same room as your router, but if you get any further and there's just a little bit of RF interference where you are, you'll see this. It drove me crazy until I found it.

Good luck.

siwibu

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016

Thanks! I'll see if this works and if not I'll be back. Also yes this is driving me completely insane, especially during exam season and that seemed to be its worst.

Nope didn't work. about 10-20 minutes later it gave out again.

charliewhiskey

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Tell me about where you live, power lines, commercial buildings etc. How many people in your building, neighborhood, family etc. Is your A/C running at that time, check for any large appliances nearby that could be drawing a lot of power and making an EM signature. Your hardware should not operate on a time schedule but there are environmental factors that might help explain things. Are you currently under investigation by the authorities? Any of your neighbors?