Moving Data and Windows 10 to a new computer.

xwickedywacko

Reputable
Mar 15, 2016
I know similar problems have been solved in other threads and other forums but I just want to be sure and learn the best way to go about this as I am a noob. I built my own pc a little while back. I bought a retail copy of Windows 8.1 and recently used my free upgrade to Windows 10. I have Windows 10 installed on a 120gb SSD. I have a 500gb and a 1tb hard drive for mass storage for things like steam games.

I recently decided to upgrade some of my parts and my friend decided to build his first computer and so he's buying my "old" parts. I got a new motherboard, a new CPU, and new ram (my friend bought all my old parts). My first question is, is there a way to salvage that retail copy of Windows whether we can put it on my new hardware or give it to my friend on the original hardware (except I'm keeping all of my storage devices so I don't know if that will work).

If I have to buy 2 new copies it wouldn't be the end of the world but I'd rather not have to. Question 2, what is the best way to move my storage devices to my new hardware. I don't have a ton of important files but I would like to try to save as much data as I can. I would at least want to transfer my save game data for steam.

Quick side question I can re-download my steam games on my new computer right (I ask because I thought your steam games were tied to your computer/hardware). That's honestly the most important thing to save is all my data needed to play my steam games on my new computer/hardware without losing any progress or anything in my games.

I don't think a system image would work in this situation and also I don't have an external hard drive, another thing I'd prefer not to buy right now but will if needed. I'm basically trying to learn what is the best way to move my old computer to a new computer with different hardware. Sorry I know I'm a noob and I probably did not explain things very well (I will elaborate on something if you need me to) but I would greatly appreciate the help.

[Mod edit: wall of text difficult to read - - no paragraph separation. Corrected]

Solution

The old hardware that was Upgraded to Win 10...

USAFRet

Titan
1 PC, 1 license, becoming 2 PC's. This will require a second license for one of them.

With your new hardware, a fresh install is highly recommended if not required.
The easiest way is to let your Win 8.1/10 install go with the old hardware. Purchase a new OS for your new machine.

xwickedywacko

Reputable
Mar 15, 2016
Thank you for the response and sorry about the wall of text. I knew I was going to have to buy one new windows license I just wanted to see if I didn't have to get 2.

So how would I go about reinstalling Windows on the old hardware. I'm keeping my 2 hard drives and SSD (which has windows installed currently) and my friend has a new hard drive. I think you would just put windows installation media on the new hard drive; but my only concern is when you use the free upgrade to Windows 10 it doesn't give you a key, Windows servers checks your hardware for activation. So would I have to contact Microsoft to get it reactivated.

As far as my data what would you recommend doing for that?

USAFRet

Titan

The old hardware that was Upgraded to Win 10 is still the same hardware (mostly).
You can download the Win 10 ISO, and reinstall on a new drive if you choose, in that same system.

Your personal data? Copy it elsewhere.

Solution