Windows wont boot only bios

Mkutap1

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Hi, I have an i7 build, asus z97a mobo i upgraded my graphics card from an nvidia 970 to a 980. When i powered up system went to bios, i cant get windows to boot. I reinstalled the 970, still no windows, then tried onboard graphics, took out mobo battery and jumper on board to reset, still cant get windows-Any Ideas?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download a copy of win 10 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 on another computer

create boot usb or dvd using the media creation tool

change boot order to boot from whatever you made

Boot pc, now after screen asking for languages, select repair this pc, not Install

Now from here you can reset pc, or select Troubleshoot

From troubleshoot, you can run start up repair that might fix your system. You can also choose system restore from here too.

If none of these work, you may need to do a full install. Good thing you have the install media already (or will if you follow steps above).

Mkutap1

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

Mkutap1

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Thanks colif, i changed boot order to boot from my windows 10 usb, still goes to bios. How can i tell if the mobo shorted out? The cpu, memory, fans temps and hd, all show as working in bios

Colif

Win 11 Master
Wait a minute, you should have same bios as me, you can't boot from usb in that UEFI, not by default anyway. You can boot from usb but have to change a few settings

in the boot menu under advanced settings change the usb mode to full initialization then save and restart. this will enable all usb devices and it will boot from the usb automatically.

Mkutap1

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

Mkutap1

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

Mkutap1

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

Colif

Win 11 Master
It might even be the USB, can you burn a DVD instead? Something weird going on here if you only get the bios. Suppose its better than being stuck in EFI but that is another story.

I don't know otherwise, maybe someone else can offer other advice.

Mkutap1

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016

Mkutap1

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
We only hv a usb case, the computer was working fine until wed to switch the graphics card, maybe mobo short? And thank you for your help so far I appreciate it