Triple booting Win10, Linux and Windows Server

imrazor

Distinguished
I currently have a dual boot configuration with Windows 10 Home and Linux that I set up with EasyBCD. I've acquired an eval license of Windows Server 2012 R2 ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2 ) I'd like to install it on my main rig (see signature) and try out Hyper-V, but I've previously run into issues trying to dual boot two different copies of Windows. Is there any way to introduce Windows Server into my current boot config without hosing things up?

Moderators, if there's a better place to put this post, please move it...

Solution

Not if it is the only drive connected when you install the OS.

imrazor

Distinguished
The problem with that is that when you install any recent version of Windows, it insists on writing changes to the first SATA drive's system partition. I'm afraid that installing Windows Server will overwrite Windows 10's system partition.

USAFRet

Titan

Not if it is the only drive connected when you install the OS.

Solution

imrazor

Distinguished

Well, if that's what it takes. Unfortunately, that requires that I unplug the other 4 drives in my system, installing Windows Server, then plugging everything back in while keeping track of all the cables and connectors. I wish modern EFI implementations would let you selectively disable hard drives like old BIOS's used to be able to do.