Removing old Windows installation files

JonRin

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Professional and I wanted to free up some space on my hard drive in case of future installations. I noticed in the Windows Disk Cleanup Program, there is an option when you choose to Cleanup System Files to clean Previous Windows Installations (please see attached screenshot). My concern is that if I choose to clean up this entry, will I lose my all my files from when I had Windows 7 installed? The reason I ask is because I have many games on my PC with measured amounts of progress in all of them and I would like to avoid starting completely over from the beginning on them. Please advise. Thank you for your time.
Disk%20Cleanup_zpsskulepzk.png

This wouldn't affect your personal files, but you may want to hold off deleting them. They are used in the event you want to rollback to Windows 7. In any event, they will be automatically deleted after thirty days.

JonRin

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

Okay. Thanks for the info. I already have Windows 10 installed on a laptop of mine and I've had no issues with it so far. The main reason I upgraded to Windows 10 my desktop is because my desktop has more resources, so I feel that it would handle Windows 10 better. That and Windows 10 is capable of running DirectX 12.