Triple monitor setup problem. 3x 144hz, 2 980ti

Explicy

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Ok So I have two problems. First one.

Weird Blur/Darken on objects

I own a Acer GN246HL. Its a 144hz monitor. When ever I move side to side in a game the objects blur and have like a RGB Trailpath behind them and edges Darken. This is on Multiple games tested. And I have 3 monitors and it does the same on all 3 so its not a monitor problem.

Second Problem:

Setting up 3 Monitors for 144hz

I own two MSI GTX 980ti's in SLI.

I have one Acer monitor connected via DVI-D running fine at 144hz. Fine! :wahoo:

I have one Acer monitor connected via DVI-D to a Active Adapter then out to a display port on my GPU.
51BHR1zZ3SL._SL1168_.jpg

Yes through the Nvidia control panel I am able to run the monitor at 144hz with the adapter although I run into two problems, firstly I have a annoying popup from the monitor's software saying "Incorrect cable Please use the Dual link DVI cable that came with your monitor" when infact I am.

Also! the screen becomes full of Fake Dead pixels, (These pixels arent really dead they just look like they are)

a3a6f44e4449ff06f0b7f53dc8ae58c0.png

When switching the monitor back to 60hz through the Nvidia control panel, this pop up goes away, and so do the fake dead pixels.

If anymore info is needed let me know.

Here is the link to the adapater

http://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-DisplayPort-DVI-D-Active-Adapter/dp/B00DYRQXMK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Solution

I did more research on the subject, and it is a set of ironic circumstances. I set up a system with an ASUS 144Hz monitor directly over HDMI in the past. I checked on it, and it is only linked at 120Hz from a GeForce GTX 980.

HDMI is a digital standard. The monitor refresh rate just changes how much data must be transmitted. Since you are running 1080p, 1080p at 144Hz requires 1920 x 1080 x 144 x 24 bits per second (7.5Gbps). HDMI 1.3 can transmit more than enough data with its 10.2Gbps standard, but a refresh rate option was not implemented, so all video encoding and decoding is done at 60Hz. In...

wildfire707

Distinguished
You may want to try out a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter instead. The DisplayPort and HDMI protocols are very similar. I assume that all 3 of your monitors are the same Acer GN246HL model.

If you plan on running a game on all three monitors, you should normally connect all monitors using the same method. That way you avoid synchronization and tearing issues. So if you get a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and go from the video card DisplayPort output to the monitor HDMI port without problems, you can do the same for all of your monitors.

Good luck!

Explicy

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Last time I heard HDMI doesnt support 144hz...

and I tried hdmi to hdmi on one of my monitors and it was locked at 60hz. As the cord was one of the High definition ones from amazon.

Explicy

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

how come it runs 144hz?

Explicy

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

also what about the sharpened edges blur when moving side to side?

wildfire707

Distinguished

HDMI can do it, but you need an HDMI 1.3 cable. Many of the cables that you can get are only HDMI 1.2 and those are limited to 1080p 60Hz. HDMI 1.3 allows for 1080p 144Hz as long as the color depth does not exceed 36 bit (no 48 bit color depth). Of course normal RGB is only 24 bit color depth, so if you keep to that it should work.

I get a lot of cables from Monoprice, and their HDMI 1.3 cables are labeled as High Speed (10.2Gbps). Their normal cables are only HDMI 1.2. This seems to be pretty common for most manufacturers.

You can get HDMI 2.0 cables from Amazon, and they are backwards compatible. I have not tried them out myself, though.

Basically, the 4.95Gbps and 5Gbps cables can only manage 1080p 60Hz. Any cable rated for 10.2Gbps or faster should be able to support 1080p 144Hz.

Also, keep in mind that the adapter that you get should be a DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 1.4 converter just to be safe.

If you use Amazon, I would try out an Accell adapter and cable (they have a good reputation for being standards compliant):

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B086B-006B-2-UltraAV-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00F90H9BY/

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B124C-003B-ProUltra-Elite-Ethernet/dp/B0056YN9L2/

The adapter is currently $20 and the cable is $15. I believe that it would be a worthwhile investment.

I hope this helps - good luck!

Explicy

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Explicy

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

Thanks for making me buy stuff that doesnt work. Bought that cord and adapter and only 60hz. HDMI cables Can NOT run 144hz. EVER.

wildfire707

Distinguished

I did more research on the subject, and it is a set of ironic circumstances. I set up a system with an ASUS 144Hz monitor directly over HDMI in the past. I checked on it, and it is only linked at 120Hz from a GeForce GTX 980.

HDMI is a digital standard. The monitor refresh rate just changes how much data must be transmitted. Since you are running 1080p, 1080p at 144Hz requires 1920 x 1080 x 144 x 24 bits per second (7.5Gbps). HDMI 1.3 can transmit more than enough data with its 10.2Gbps standard, but a refresh rate option was not implemented, so all video encoding and decoding is done at 60Hz. In HDMI 1.4 they finally added a refresh rate option, but only 30,60, and 120Hz can be used.

For a digital standard, this is terrible. DisplayPort does natively allow for the refresh rate to be part of the data specification, so it can handle 144Hz monitors just fine. Unfortunately, there is a licensing fee for DisplayPort - so monitor manufacturers have been trying to push HDMI instead and some manufacturers stopped having DisplayPort plugs on their monitors recently.

It looks like you will have to follow unksol's advice and get an active DVI adapter instead. The "active" adapters that do not get power from USB or an AC adapter are actually low power ones that use an embedded battery. They don't work as well as a true active adapter and can show static or stuck pixels when they are pushed too far.

It is too bad, because DVI is pretty archaic now and the cables are monstrously thick and heavy.

Solution