HELP (DNS server) is not responding - no Router

Francesco Favia

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Hello everybody,

Im not british so I will try to explain my issue in the clearest way I can.
(writing here because the Italian tomshardware comunity is not so active)

I bought 2 days ago a brand new computer and I installed my Win 10 home copy.
Motherboard is an ASUS H110M-a, I have no router, I just directly connect to the machine the ethernet cable that comes comes out from the wall.
I do not know what kind of internet connection I am using, I just know is super fast.

The landlord building just connected all the apartments to a main server, and in order for me to connect my computer to the building network, he provided me all the values to input in the IPV4 protocol. So those values cannot be changed.

Unfortunately, even if I used the correct values, my internet connection does not work ( yellow triangle on the ethernet icon) and with the troubleshooting function I get the following error:

"Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding"

By the way I am sure my flat is connected to the net, and ethrnet cable is fine as well, as internet connection works perfectly on my Win 7 old computer.

I tried to look for a solution online but almost all of them take into consideration to change IP and DNS values witch is something I cannot do.

Is there anybody that may help me please?

Thank you in advance.

Francesco Favia

Francesco Favia

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Thak you Colif.

I tried to ping already the nameserver 8.8.8.8 and I got a 100% of packages lost. So i think there is no point in testing them.
Why I can' t chage those values? I think because the building I live is a network itself, infact my apartment as its owin IP adress that can't never be changed
(For example now Im writing from my flat with the old PC and it works)

I would attache print screens but I do not know how I can do it here.

Any other ideas?

Francesco Favia

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
I will try to do it as soon as I can, to try I have to switch all the cables every time.
For right numbers in you mean Ip adrress and dns servers that works with win 7?

Thank you

Francesco Favia

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
ok downloaded drivers on my usb, extracted the file on win 10 desktop, installed lan drivers, restarted win 10, but same error as before.
Numbers in IPV4 protocol are 100% the same as the one with win 7.
still not working :/

Francesco Favia

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
well I do not know as well, I flushed again the DNS cache,
Cleand everything with the ipconfig comands using CMD
Uninstalled drivers, installed new one and restarted.

Do not know what else to do.

Francesco Favia

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Just talked to him.
He said he has no clue about what it could be, furthemore if Win 7 is working.
He said that he will try to ask to a COmputer service shop not so far from here on tuesday.. (.....)
Anyway I found out something funny.
Just to try i run the troubleshoot on the ethernet connection with WIN 7 and I get the same error as with win win 10.
The only differece is with win 7 i have internet connection but with win 10 I got none.

Colif

Win 11 Master
does the lan controller connect you to any networks. my home one connects to people around me even with no internet connection, does yours do same?

It could be the lan controller but we swapped them and clean installed them already

Francesco Favia

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Hello,

Im not sure what it means, It says connection is limited.
Anyway I think yesterday I might saw another computer name in the network. SO i think it does.
I will check it again later.

Why did you ask?

Francesco Favia

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
no bit denfeder installed.
i even turned off windows firewalls to be sure. :/
But I do not know if my landord to share the connection to the building uses a firewall, but he never mentioned me that so I think not.

Francesco Favia

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Hello, I had a huge int from a computer service shop.
Considering how my internet network is designed, the landlord has to give permission to my new phisical adress to connect to the lan.
I called him, and he said he forgot about that.... and he will do it later

I'll be damned....

Hope this will work...

Thank you