Using Tom's Hardware as a "reference"

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
tl;dr Should I mention my contribution (albeit very small) to Tom's hardware on my resume?

Hello, good people!
So, I'm crafting what might be considered a "modern IT resume."
It will likely look a lot like this only way better :p
The difference is at the bottom, for some reason they include "interests" whereas I'd like to include a very brief section about "Awards" kind of like this one
Well, here's the thing. I don't have any awards.
The truth is, I don't really have any legitimately relevant experience in the IT field. I do run a small computer repair/service and sales shop, but I can't claim that. I'm just a salesman.
So, I'm trying to spice up the chowder a bit here and show that I know what I'm talking about (at least some of the time).
I wanted to mention somewhere briefly that I've helped nearly 200 people find a solution to their problem/question/concern, whatever. I think that's saying something for someone with no formal education or work experience!
What do you think? If you were an employer, would you scoff at that or find it respectable?

Solution
If you said you were in the top 100 for best answer count, or top 50 for best answer count for a month, would be more impressive. Achieving the highest badges for one or more categories would be good. Having 200 best answers is difficult for an outsider to judge the significance. But saying you are in the top 100 all time or top 50 for months on a technical forum is more tangible because you are competing with peers to get those awards.

kanewolf

Titan
If you said you were in the top 100 for best answer count, or top 50 for best answer count for a month, would be more impressive. Achieving the highest badges for one or more categories would be good. Having 200 best answers is difficult for an outsider to judge the significance. But saying you are in the top 100 all time or top 50 for months on a technical forum is more tangible because you are competing with peers to get those awards.

Solution
I'd say your contribution is much too low to be of any significance. You aren't really active here. Also just my opinion but saying you post on the internet to help people wouldn't mean anything to me if I was an employer. Tom's is well known but even if you could say you are one of the top contributors on a forum seems questionable as an achievement. I understand having an empty resume, we've all been there, but you are just entry level.

The computer sale thing is at least computer related but you said no work experience, so what is that?