Looking to set up network in new home with multiple access points ...

jonquiljo

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
New enough anyway - 15 years old, built a little more solid than older ones around here. Topology is important in that it is over 4000 sq ft single floor - and spread out the long way for maximum privacy on a long hallway. When we remodeled it, my wife "required" that I not clutter it with Internet equipment, but I want to run Comcast at 75Mb/s - so an AC network is essential. Luckily it is not a congested area, so I have very little potential neighbor interference.

The only place where I could get enough "hidden space" to put the originating modem, router, etc. is in the far end of the house. I had a cable line run in there and about 5 Cat 6 lines run (from there) to various closet areas around the house (with a power outlet placed near each) - so I could run access points anywhere I wanted. From the cable to modem to main router, I can broadcast a WiFi signal from an Asus AC68 router about halfway across the house. 2 or 3 more points of transmission should be fine.

In my current house I have an Asus 68U as router hardwired to another 68U in access point mode - and they work well. Wiring was relatively cheap as the new house was taken apart to remodel it - but I don't feel like being too cheap with the equipment. Ideally it would something that I set up and ignore (i.e. - not a Ubiquiti system). I figure I can totally saturate the house with 5MHz if I use 2 or 3 access points. What would be good access points or routers in AP mode to use at the "remote" locations? Seamless roaming is not critical.

I've heard the Apple Airport Extreme is good for this kind of thing, but only have 2 or 3 ports instead of the usual 4 or 5. I'd have to add a small switch at the router to give myself an extra port of two if needed. I run mostly PC's and iPads (a strange mix), but no Mac's - and I hear Airports do not easily set up without Macs. That's about it. Any good idea of hardware to use? I don't need to use $400+ routers in AP mode - but $200 routers in AP mode or $200 APs would be fine.

Most routers can be set to be AP/switch only, so if you can't find dedicated APs (d-link and netgear branded ones exist, just go to their websites) you can always use another router.

And no, 5MHz bands will NOT work, if you want true AC speed you'll need to use 5GHz 40MHz bands, which end up having decreased range (most of the time made up with MIMO)

jonquiljo

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
At that point, it's probably easier to go use a Ubiquiti set up. If I wanted wireless N - I wouldn't worry, but their new AC units don't seem to behave nearly as reliably. Given that Ubiquity is very inexpensive, I could run AP's everywhere and anywhere I have Cat 6, turning AP's on and off at will. But if you go over to the Ubiquiti forums you will see people recounting horror story after horror story with the new AC units - all of them.

On the other hand, my Asus AC 68U's seem to run fine in AP mode. But they are one of the few AC routers still sold at a decent price point that date back 2-3 years. And they are only 2x2. The problem is that it takes only one firmware upgrade for the consumer routers to totally change, which is why I haven't changed firmware in 2 years or so. Moving into a new place, I doubt I can recreate a reliable configuration for long.

That's the reason for my question - is this a practice that is ever used, or do people stick with Ubiquiti and others? I'm just looking for someone to tell me of a solution that is similar to what I have been using that makes you avoid upgrading your firmware all the time and tweaking network settings (and it seems that Ubiquity is always doing that). I use my home Internet for business and the last thing I want to do is play with it all the time - though I don't need it often.

And yes, I knew that the transmission frequency is at 5 MHz; and the channel bandwidth can go anywhere from 20-80MHz. I've been running mine at 80 MHz with no problems - just a shorter distances. But when I can keep a steady link on a line (which is 95% of the time), I can run at 87/18 (Comcast Business only guarantees 75/15). Doesn't anyone make any reliable equipment to cover 4000+ sq ft without constant annoyances?