Running the OS on a dedicated SSD, but getting everything else on HDD

Midnight822

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2016
I know this is a topic that was covered a bit back in the fall, I wanted to re-open the topic incase anyone had anything new to provide.

So I've got a small SSD dedicated to running the OS (win10-64bit), with a 2 TB storage HDD for everything else. I've got all the base user files re-directed to automatically go to the HDD drive. And I'm aware of custom installs and picking where you want to install programs. The problem is, many programs (such as Office) auto-install in the c: drive with the OS. Per previous recommendations, I followed the "new programs go to" instructions, but the option to do this is still grayed out.

From what I've read, you can alter regedit to hack your way into making new files install where you want. I was going to see if this was still the only method of accomplishing this. I was assuming that many other people were likely running the same setup, so I figured there would be more practical ways of setting this up by now.

All feedback is appreciated.

Midnight822

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2016

Someone else can probably provide more specifics, but essentially there's a move application built into Windows, and you can find it somewhere in the settings (I found it last night, there's plenty of instructions out there for it and they're pretty easy to find if you really want to go find a grayed out option you can't use). From what I read, it was a workable application for very specific versions of Win10, but MS felt it wasn't quite ready yet so disconnected it's functionality, atleast for the time being.

Consequently, the regedit tweaks might be the next best solution. Hoping someone with the same setup can shed more light on the situation and what they do to accomplish the setup.