Taking a poll to try to get intel to delid their K-series CPUs in the factory

nayrnayr1

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

But the thing is that $50 is a lot for something that should already be done.

You could do it yourself for free.

nayrnayr1

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

Don't want to damage my CPU. Also, the only people that would buy an Intel K series CPU would like if the CPUs came de-lidded. Intel already got rid of the stock cooler for the LGA-1151 K series chips as anyone using them would not want the stock cooler.

I feel your pain, but it's just not going to happen. I am sure a delid would help my i3-6100 @4.5GHz also. I might do it one day...maybe.

nayrnayr1

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

If you would like it to happen then give me another person on the poll. :)

Give me more voting options like:

- I'd rather do it my damn self because intel is going to charge at least $100 premium.

or

- I'll pay a third party like Silicon Lottery $50 and let them break it for me.

or

- Just solder that lid on and raise the price

or

Keep it just the way it is so that the newb overclockers can't touch the elite overclockers.

nayrnayr1

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

:p

True... True...

Edit: Changed and added other choices

5.2GHz on my Fx-4300 with a garbage 4+1 board is pretty good.

That would require them to redesign the socket hold down clamping mechanism to release exposed die CPUs or supply the heat spreader to the CPU for the present clamping mechanism separately packaged to avoid shipping damage, which would elevate their warranty responsibility to nightmarish levels.

Back in the day that we had exposed die CPUs we also had clamping mechanisms designed for those type mounting situations, so there is a whole lot more involved than releasing delidded CPUs to the mass public, of which only about 1% of the entire CPU sales are even overclockers.

You may as well face the fact you are in a minority no matter how many overclockers it appears to be out in the world, the massive sales of computers go to the overclocking clueless.

You can always delid yourself, but don't expect Intel to do it for you because of the factory parameters of even installing the heat spreader are more complicated than you realize, as there are specifications that are strictly adhered to like the amount of TIM vs the amount of rim sealing.

The heat spreader also does more than just spread the heat, it supplies the clamping contact points of the hold down mechanism, and it distributes the load across the CPU substrate so as not to bow or crack the substrate under cooler mounting pressure.

Your request to Intel is like Lancelot Link, "I laugh in your face!", which is probably the response Intel would be thinking, fully aware of all your request would entail.

nayrnayr1

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

Another thing I have in mind is changing out the thermal paste for solder.