New Build: Windows 10 USB install freezes at blue logo

goonscape

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
I've read a ton of forums about this and there's either no clear solution or its not exactly the same, so I hope you can help me out. I'm using a USB flash drive and Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create the bootable USB. USB drive has boot priority, so it picks the right device, boots into the blue Windows logo and then the spinning circles go around 2 times and freeze at almost the same spot every time. And if I wait long enough, the system will restart and do it again. I've tried 2 different flash drives, formatted them completely beforehand, same result. I've updated my BIOS to the newest version, my RAM is recognized and runs MemTest86 with 0 Errors. Tried all the USB ports 2.0 and 3.0. Two different displays. Removed peripherals and wireless networking card. Everything in the PC is barebones. I tried using an ISO image and imaging that to a USB, same result.

What are my options here? I don't have an optical drive, and I'd prefer to keep it that way, but would a DVD install make that much of a difference? or Could I use a USB to SATA adapter for the SSD and install Windows 10 from a laptop onto that and put it back in the case and boot from that? I'd prefer to avoid buying things, but obviously I need an OS.

Any help is appreciated! This is my first build, and after researching/buying/building I never thought that installing Windows would be my downfall lol. Thanks!

ASRock X99 Extreme4/3.1 mobo
i7 5820k
asus gtx 970
16gb g skill ripjaw v
500gb samsung evo

Pics of where it freezes every time:
http://imgur.com/a/qZv1u

goonscape

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Both. I used the Media Creation Tool and selected the USB drive for installation. As a second option, I tried using the Windows 7 Usb Tool to write the Windows 10 ISO to USB - both booted, same result.

goonscape

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Just going to put this here for the record.

It doesn't make any sense to me, but changing the BIOS to boot from the SSD, which was brand new and I thought empty?, started the Windows 10 installation. I even disabled the bootable USB drive that was plugged in. Maybe something got copied over somehow in my previous attempts, or when I thought the computer was freezing, it was just the graphics freezing? Here I was trying multiple USBs and it was on my SSD the whole time? In any case, I'm hella thankful and relieved and finally able to enjoy that "Hell yea, I just built this shit with my own two hands." feeling.

Grimfyre

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2014
Not trying to Necro this thread but i am having this same issue when trying to install windows 10 from a disk and i cannot figure out why.

I am using a GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard.

Using the onboard graphics and not a GPU yet as to not cause any extra problems..