NAS vs Server (Small Business file server)?

Timaphillips

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
My small business currently has a DLink DNS-323 NAS (http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DNS-323-Network-Attached-Enclosure/dp/B000GK8LVE). Four computers share this network drive as a file server. It also runs an FTP server for out of office needs. So far, the system has worked well. It's in RAID 1 (mirror) and I run backups manually a few times a week to an external drive.

Is there a better/faster/safer way to access and share files on a local network? I'm specifically wondering about running AutoCAD and SketchUp files directly off of it. These are files that one PC uses 99% of the time while the others are editing spreadsheets, PDF's, etc. Do files accessed from the NAS get temp stored on the local PC for use? I guess I'm not clear on how that all works exactly. I worry that some sort of network failure could result in lost work during the day. Or that other users accessing the drives will slow the programs down. Seems like a lot of simultaneous read/writes for a little NAS box.

Right now, the PC that runs AutoCAD and SketchUp has the files locally on that PC and runs a real-time backup that syncs those files to the NAS for shared use (NTI Shadows software). That way, nobody on the network can accidentally delete anything with a fat finger moment. I also assume that's faster than running those files from the NAS. I suppose I could do a better job at setting file/folder permissions, which would solve the accidental deletion problem, right?

Would we be better off building a small windows tower that's a file server or simply upgrading to a newer Synology NAS or something like that on a faster gigabit network.

Yea getting one with a faster NIC is def something it sounds like you need.

Now as far as going either Synology or Server the real questions comes down to do you need a domain or not really. It sounds like you don't have one so I don't think you do. Synology's can be just as expensive as a server once you start getting into the 4+ bay ones. I like they synology for the NAS use. Their software is very feature rich in my opinion.

I have a client with the 415+ and they do a LOT of Cad/Structural work and they use FabSuite and FabTrol and they run it all off the NAS so that they can share files easily with clients so it works great for them.

Timaphillips

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008

Currently the NAS is spinning two 300GB disks. We don't have need for more than 2 bays. I'd probably drop in new RED 1TB drives if/when we upgrade since prices are so low. We don't have a need for hosting our website. We use Wix for the website and Google Apps for email.

Good to hear the clients you have run software like we do directly off the NAS. Sounds like they are well-suited for primary HDD's in the network vs a simple backup.

yea they have a server as well, but most of the stuff is on the NAS thanks to the Synology software that is built in they can give remote access for clients to download the files, they can either have the link last forever, or give it a time limit, or they can open the link a certain amount of times. It is pretty nice to have and it runs great. They have about 20 people accessing it without issue and the one they had has dual gigabit eithernets that you can either run in a Teamed enviroment (Both NIC's working together and if one failes the other keeps going) or one can be for internet only access and one for lan access etc. They are nice and worth looking into. Sounds like you don't really need a server there.

Timaphillips

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008

Awesome. Thanks for the input!

Jared2606

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
I would recommend getting a new file storage system that does not consume a lot of power:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($16.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $327.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 07:38 EDT-0400

There is enough storage for whatever you need, and this can be used to install Windows on, then using Windows set up file sharing across the network. You could install FileZilla server for your FTP needs.

To answer your questions:

Files that are accessed from the NAS are temporarily stored on the client computer that is working on it, once the client hits save, its gets saved to the server where the file was originally found.

Where you say "Or that other users accessing the drives will slow the programs down." i think of it in 2 different ways. The first is, when the client opens up a document, it will slow down the program that the client is editing it with. The answer to that is no. The second is, when the client opens up a document, it will slow the program that is running on the server, the answer to that is also no.

If you set up permissions by denying members the ability to delete from a network share, then there will be no way for a user to delete it, unless they are using the actual server where the file is stored on (which is highly unlikely unless you will be using the NAS as a desktop computer).

Rather get a Windows tower, like in the build above, as it gives more headroom for upgrades. You could even use this computer as a NAS, a website hosting box (upgrade CPU and RAM: Core i5 6500 and 16GB will be great for that), and also as a domain controller for the PCs on the network (upgrade CPU and RAM: Core Xeon for best efficiency and 32GB ECC RAM).