Copied OS from old HDD to new SSD but cant access and format the older HDD when booted from the new SSD

Sebastian_14

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
Hi everyone.

So i bought a SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 500gb) and migrated my old HDD to the SSD, easy

The I rebooted and plugged out the HDD and starts on my SSD, easy. But the I restarted again and plugged in my HDD and went in to the BOOT meny and saw that my SSD was first in the booting order. It booted up on my HDD and now the SSD is offline in disk manegment.

All I want is to format my older HDD but apperently I cant access either my HDD ot SSD when the other is the one that booted up.

Solution
You can try tapping f12 at start and manually selecting to boot the ssd. Another option you can do is start a new windows installing using a boot disk, select that hdd and format it, but never go through with the install. A good tool you can use is partition wizard, maybe that will help since its a little more powerful then the built in disk manager.

aparnell572

Reputable
Mar 30, 2016
Are you trying to boot into the hdd and format it from there? In bios you want ssd @ 1 and hdd @2. You should boot into ssd, be able to go into disk manager and format the hdd. Is that what the problem is?

Sebastian_14

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
Your solution was in my main route to do everything i.e I put SSD #1 and HDD #2 but i cant access adn the format the HDD when I booted from the SSD. When I tried to plug in the HDD again it boots from the HDD even when i put SSD #1 in BIOS and I the SSD is unaccessable.

aparnell572

Reputable
Mar 30, 2016
You can try tapping f12 at start and manually selecting to boot the ssd. Another option you can do is start a new windows installing using a boot disk, select that hdd and format it, but never go through with the install. A good tool you can use is partition wizard, maybe that will help since its a little more powerful then the built in disk manager.

Solution