Windows 10 with a new mobo - what's the final word?

After reading many articles this morning, I'm still not 100% clear...

Just about to build a new rig. My current one has Windows 10 which was upgraded from my retail box version of Windows 8 Pro. Am I able to download W10 from the Microsoft site and then use my W8 Pro key to activate it on the new machine?

Thanks for any tips on this ongoing question. :)

Solution
As of the November update, you can use a Windows 7/8/8.1 key to activate Windows - https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/6815/microsoft-will-now-let-windows-10-upgraders-use-windows-7-8-or-8-1-product-key-to-activate

All you have to do is use the ISO from Microsoft to install Windows 10, run Windows update afterwards, and activate using your Windows 8 key to activate.

I upgraded from my old Ivy Bridge build to Haswell-refresh back in December and this is the process I used.

For reference, I was using an OEM version of Windows 7 Professional and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro using the usual process.
not 100% sure

but usually a new motherboard means no

but then you usually go to activate by phone and do the automated thing

or if you get a person explain you replaced the motherboard

windows 10 during install has a i dont have a key option so wont stop you installing it far as i know

USAFRet

Titan

First off, you now have 2 PC's. You'll need 2 OS's. Unless you are not going to use the old one ever.
Now...is the license for your Win 8 Pro Retail or OEM? Just because you bought it does not automatically mean Retail.

Belarc Advisor can probably discover this for you.

As of the November update, you can use a Windows 7/8/8.1 key to activate Windows - https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/6815/microsoft-will-now-let-windows-10-upgraders-use-windows-7-8-or-8-1-product-key-to-activate

All you have to do is use the ISO from Microsoft to install Windows 10, run Windows update afterwards, and activate using your Windows 8 key to activate.

I upgraded from my old Ivy Bridge build to Haswell-refresh back in December and this is the process I used.

For reference, I was using an OEM version of Windows 7 Professional and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro using the usual process.

Solution