Desktop now wants me to sign in with microsoft account.

scottscores

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I've put myself in an odd situation. I just enabled cortana for the first time. She was working fine but when I was in a skype call and talked to her it turned my mic volume down in skype so no one could hear me. So I downloaded a realtek audio driver on chrome and it asked me to restart my comp.

Now this is where the problem happened.

When I restarted my comp it asked me to sign into my microsoft account which is weird, Instead of putting in my regular password I had to use my microsoft one. Then when I logged in my background was changed to a wallpaper I was using on my laptop. I don't even have the laptop background image downloaded on my desktop.

I know on my laptop I sign in using my microsoft account. So I think somehow my desktop got synced with my microsoft account.

Does anyone know how I can change it back?

Solution
Did you try opening up start , right clicking your name or user name in top row at left and selecting Change account settings. In the pop up you can select to sign in with local account or manage Microsoft account, if you please. The first should reset your wallpaper to what you normally have. I am not sure what will happen next boot, it may show both accounts to choose from.

Did you know you can do this? http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/

windows 10 likes syncing things, it kept swapping my desktop size to match my old 1080p monitor, i have 4k now, it centered it and I had a stack of black around the picture. I turned off sync after that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you try opening up start , right clicking your name or user name in top row at left and selecting Change account settings. In the pop up you can select to sign in with local account or manage Microsoft account, if you please. The first should reset your wallpaper to what you normally have. I am not sure what will happen next boot, it may show both accounts to choose from.

Did you know you can do this? http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login-in-windows-10/

windows 10 likes syncing things, it kept swapping my desktop size to match my old 1080p monitor, i have 4k now, it centered it and I had a stack of black around the picture. I turned off sync after that.

Solution

scottscores

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Ya I did this and it worked. I got a little scared so I restored my pc to a earlier point which didn't fix much. In fact it screwed up a few chrome extensions which I had to re download. After that I went to my settings and found it was using my microsoft account so I clicked the sign in with local account button. I had to re input my info for the local account, so I'm not sure what happened to my old account but I don't think it really matters. I restarted and everything is good now.

Just another quick question also. Restoring my computer to a older state shouldn't slow anything down right? It might be kind of a dumb question but I recently built this comp to be fast so I'm trying to be very careful as to not do anything that would make it run slower.

Also thanks for the answer!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I doubt it, it would depend how far back you go I expect. I hardly use system restore cause it means having to reinstall stuff you changed in the period since the restore files creation date. If you changed any drivers in that time, you would need to get them back... that would be only way to slow you down I think.

I find it easier to run reset or reinstall win 10 than to use system restore. I often don't think of it until I have done a heap of changes and by then its too late.

If your pc is all new, it would take a lot to slow it down. my last pc used to take over a minute to boot, now I complain when this one takes more than 37 seconds. How soon I forget.

scottscores

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Ok awesome. I restored it to a state about 30 minutes prior. Everything seems fine. Thanks for the help :D