No monitor signal from VGA or DVI

Danarico

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
Hello everyone. I always hate to make a new thread on these forums, since there are so many similar ones out there, but each has so many different variables to my problem that I ust find it best to make my own.

Anyway, my motherboard (an ASUS M5A8L-M) was fried a few days ago, so I couldn;t start up my computer, so I ordered a new one of the exact same model. Once I'd installed it and connected everything up, my monitor receives no signal when plugged into the DVI (my GPU). Strangely, when I disconnect the cable from my computer, a message appears on screen asking me to check the connection to the device. So it does notice it's there, but when I plug it back in, there is still no signal upon booting up. The same thing happens when I plug it directly into my motherboard (the VGA); no signal, yet recognizes when it's been removed.

Does anyone have a solution to this? Could some other hardware besides my motherboard have been fried? It isn't my GPU, because I've removed it all together while it is plugged into the VGA. I have two different CPU models, and they both produce the same problem. I've tried switching around my 2 sticks of memory into different slots on the mobo, and even with one at a time, but no luck.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

dexter2

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
You should experiment with different monitors and cables. If that doesn't help, then the problem must be with your new mobo. Try sending it back. If it isn't the mobo's fault, then I cannot think of anything else that could be causing the problem.

Hi

With graphics card removed so using internal graphics AND hard disk(s) sata cables disconnected
do you get a BIOS startup message ?

Trying to find out if a Windows problem driving graphics chip at wrong frequency

If you do get a BIOS mesage re connect hard disk and try starting in safe mode
(I assumed you have some sort of Windows not Linux)

regards
Mike Barnes