Dell E1909 monitor not getting DVI signal

ISO3000

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
I have searched the forum but have not found an answer.

Setup:
Two monitors: Samsung (1-year old) with USB connection and Dell E1909W (bought second hand, around 7 years old) with DVI and VGA connections available
PC: ASUS H811-PLUS Main board, running Windows 8. Never tried DVI connection on this PC before

The Samsung monitor works fine. The Dell monitor doesn't work with DVI connection. When I plug in the DVI cable, the Dell monitor goes into power saving mode. The monitor says that it receives no signal from the PC. I tried to select the input source as automatic and digital but no differences. On the other hand, the PC, running Win8, detects both monitors and shows the correct model (Dell E1909W) in control panel. When I unplug the DVI cable, the Dell monitor says that the DVI cable is unplugged.

My guess is that the PC is not able to send the correct DVI signal but what is the reason and how do I fix it?

Thanks

ISO3000

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

No, I am not using any external adapters such as VGA to DVI. The monitor works fine when connected via VGA. What is the difference between VGA and DVI in terms of what a PC has to do to send the signal? Does the graphic card matter? My PC has a (presumably) integrated Intel HD graphics 4600.

dexter2

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
VGA is a lot older and sends an analogue signal, whereas DVI, which is a lot newer, sends a digital signal.
Also, do you have a graphics card, or are the VGA/DVI cables connected to the motherboard?

ISO3000

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016

The PC has a (presumably) integrated graphic card -- Intel HD graphics 4600. Suppose the graphic card is integrated, it would imply that the cables are connected to the motherboard, correct? Or is there another way to verify?

dexter2

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
The PC has a (presumably) integrated graphic card -- Intel HD graphics 4600. Suppose the graphic card is integrated, it would imply that the cables are connected to the motherboard, correct? Or is there another way to verify?[/quotemsg]If the graphics card is integrated then there are no cables - the graphics are in the CPU. They should really just be there at all times is there is no other external video card available.