Best Way to Prepare for Computer Science in college?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
look at the curriculum for the degree at the school you want to go to. it will list every class you'll have to take. this should tell you exactly what to start on. other idea is to go to the school and speak to the department head. will also tell you what to work on as they know what they teach and what students are lacking in when they get there.

this is always the best thing to do, visit the campus and get it from them what they need you to know when you get there.

Ralston18

Titan
Fully agree with Math Geek.

But colleges and curriculums can lag behind a bit. Not so much of a problem in the past but the IT world (and the world in general) is changing faster and faster.

My recommendation is to keep your options open and work on a broader skilll set. Logic is one thing - coding is syntax to apply that logic.

Strive for "hands on" courses and opportunities. Knowing the classes you need to take (per Math Geek) will tell you what skills you need to develop and improve. Whether you like the classes or not.

Beyond that you need to understand what you really want to do and that probably has not really established itself. And will, due to nature and circumstances, change. Most IT folks, including myself, have gone through a couple of "careers". If not more.

Keep an eye on the bigger picture and plan to include some classes applicable to whatever career you decide to pursue. Writing, speech, communications, etc. will be just as important (if not more important) than some specific coding class.

Just learning how to learn is crucial. Sacrifice will be necessary.

So much is happening: VR, 3D printing, cyber security, IoT.....

Flexibility is key, a strong basic skill set is needed. Understand risks and benefits; trade-offs will be needed. Learn balance between yourself, your job (yes college is a job), and your family . Learn to prioritize.

And you must learn to be a team player, a good communicator and stay out of trouble. Study the IT industry: look at employment ads, forums, FAQs, product information, leading individuals. Learn from all that.

Actually the above pretty much applies to any discipline. So be it.

Computer Science is not about programming, it is about the study of computation. Algorithms, data structures, and logic are natural parts of mathematics, they are not bound to any particular programming language.

Although they are important hard skills to have, so called "coding classes" are peripheral to a Computer Science degree. Some of the best Computer Science programs barely touch on programming at all. You will most likely be expected to learn them on your own in order to demonstrate a practical understanding of your knowledge. Since Computer Science academic in nature rather than technical you will not be expected to program any large applications, games, or anything like that.

If I were to recommend two hard skills to learn they would be the following:

1. Java. Since Java is portable by design, it's beloved by instructors worldwide as it means that every computer supports it without issue. It's also extremely well documented and there's an enormous body of knowledge surrounding it. As a result, Java is the language of choice for many Computer Science programs.

2. Matlab/Octave. These are extremely useful for getting things done in an academic fashion. It's very easy to implement abstract algorithms in Matlab and very easy to grab as much output/data as desired.

If you really want to get into the meat and behind-the-scenes of what is going on Assembly is the language to learn, at least some of. I know a lot of people who memorize a lot of syntax but don't know how to apply it. I was always the opposite; I knew little syntax, but knew how to make complex things out of simple stuff, things that worked.