4K IPS or 1440p IPS?

Mr Jim

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Hi i'm wondering if I should go for the Acer S277HK(4K IPS) or the BenQ gw2765HT(1440P IPS), both are roughly the same price atm.

I'll be primarily using it to play moba's+watch youtube/films

Solution
Regarding size and resolution:
27" is better with 1440p. If you want 4k, it is better to increase the size e.g. 32".
Windows icons will be hell small on 27" 4k.
Recognizing the difference of having higher resolution (detail level, sharpness) has something to do with resolution, size and viewing distance.
If you sit around 3 feet away (only example) from the 27" monitor, there is little to no difference between 4k and 1440p.

Regarding resolution:
More resolution is better. More pixels means more working space (editing, etc.).
Better pixel density, sharper pictures or more details.

For gaming:
More pixels means more powerful GPU is needed, which means more investment.
For 4k needs serious investments. No more mainstream GPU for you...
What is your system like? If you got some 980ti's sure go for 4k. IMHO considering it is a 27" 4k display, I imagine everything would be absolutely microscopic. That BenQ has quite a bit of input lag as well, about 22ms (18ms processing, 4ms panel - source: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2765ht.htm).

Not sure what the price is of the Acer Xb270HU is right now but it is 144hz 27" 1440p IPS with gync. Input lag on this is a total of about 3ms (.25 processing, 2.75 panel source: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm). That is the reason I bought this one over every thing else, the extremely low input lag and the gsync is very nice too.

I am sure there are other good monitors but i can't recommend any that I havent used.

Mr Jim

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
I've currently got a 770 but im gonna upgrade when polaris/pascal comes out so i was thinking maybe go 4k, play low settings/resolution for a while.
Think the Acer is a bit out of my budget at the moment :'(
thanks for the reply

Regarding size and resolution:
27" is better with 1440p. If you want 4k, it is better to increase the size e.g. 32".
Windows icons will be hell small on 27" 4k.
Recognizing the difference of having higher resolution (detail level, sharpness) has something to do with resolution, size and viewing distance.
If you sit around 3 feet away (only example) from the 27" monitor, there is little to no difference between 4k and 1440p.

Regarding resolution:
More resolution is better. More pixels means more working space (editing, etc.).
Better pixel density, sharper pictures or more details.

For gaming:
More pixels means more powerful GPU is needed, which means more investment.
For 4k needs serious investments. No more mainstream GPU for you in the next few years, only the enthusiast GPUs.

Scaling:
Since there are still tons of 1080p videos, etc. 4k is better than 1440p from upscaling point of view by far. 1080p videos look quite a lot better on 4k than on 1440p.

Current monitors technology:
Only 1440p can go 144Hz/165Hz (e.g. XB270HU, XB271HU, PG279Q), the 4k still can only 60Hz.
Monitor refresh rate is important for hardcore gamers. I have XB270HU.

If someone ask me which one I prefer for 27, I would answer, that I prefer 1440p. Go for bigger monitors for 4k.

Solution