64 bit apps still running as 32 bit on a 64bit machine

JMWoodham

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Hello Tom's Hardware, I'm a long term reader, first time commenter, and I could use your help.

I've got a 64bit machine, running 64bit Win10 Pro, but for some reason, hardly any 64bit programs will run as 64bit, instead almost everything defaults to 32bit, despite my hardware and OS both being compatible. Indeed about the only things that will run as 64bit are my Steam games. I've got a lot of utilities that would benefit greatly from running as 64 bit, but they keep going to 32bit, despite being 64bit compatible apps. I'm no master at all things tech, and am only what most would call a 'power-user' so after I'd tried everything I knew, and Ducked every possible term to no avail, I figured I'd try Tom's hardware, since you're usually the best solution site in search results anyway. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Solution
Here you go read this.

http://www.howtogeek.com/194119/why-are-most-programs-still-32-bit-on-a-64-bit-version-of-windows/
Why Are Most Programs Still 32-bit on a 64-bit Version of Windows?

JMWoodham

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016

Thanks for the good article. Is there a way to get 64bit apps to run as 64bit instead of 32? As an example, I've got several games that are 64bit DX11 compatible, but keep auto running as 32bit DX9 despite my hardware and OS being 64bit. Is there any way to force run them in 64bit? Maybe an option like the context menu graphics card selector?