Lexmark E120n V: Clearing a Paper Jam

dcb2016

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Hello, all.

I have had a Lexmark E120n V for several years and it has worked fine, overall.
However, every now and then the paper jams.

According to the User Manual, the way to clear paper jams is to open it up and physically pull the jammed paper out. This brute force method seems a bit harsh to me; I hear gears grinding and I dread the thought I may be breaking something. Plus, the paper is usually held pretty tight; it tears and I end up digging pieces of paper out of the printer a little piece at a time. And getting some of those pieces is often near impossible. One day, something is going to snap and I will be down one printer.

From previous experience with printers at work, some printers have a button to push that turns the rollers on--regardless of whether there is a paper jam. They just roll and roll and chug on until you release the button, moving the paper through the system. This option seems a little better than the brute force method. However, I am not aware of such an option with this printer. Perhaps I am missing something.

Does this printer offer a button to manually turn on the rollers--and stay on as long as the button is depressed--to clear out paper jams?

Alternately, if I could manually roll the rollers to move the paper forward--so that my fingers can actually reach it and then pull it out--that would be a nice second option. Any suggestions?

dcb2016

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Hi, Phillip.

Thanks for the reply.

The manufacturer's instructions indicate the brute force method: just pull the jammed paper out of the printer, ignore the grinding gears and other noises, and hope nothing breaks--which is what I was trying to avoid.

It seems like they are just saying, "Close your eyes, say a prayer, and pull hard."

I am glad to see they are confident about the durability of their product. But I sure hope none of those small plastic pieces inside ever break when I am yanking on a piece of jammed paper.