dual monitor setup help

ceasar entila

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Right now, I have one Dell s2316 and the bezels are super thin. Its like this monitor was built for multi monitors. The Dell s2316 has a dvi and an hdmi and my graphics card is the zotac (non-amp but 2fan) gtx 960 2gb one. My card has one HDMI, one display port, 2 dvi ports.

My dell s2316 is connected through hdmi cable and I am thinking of pairing another s2316 because i do alot of work and gaming, I only play games like Heroes of the Storm, Diablo III, Overwatch, not much of Triple A fan. If i want to enable surround, will my graphics card be okay? also for hte connection of surround, should both monitors be plugged in two hdmi ports or two dvi ports? Mine has only one hdmi.

Solution
Some observations. First, dual monitors isn't surround. You really need 3 or more for that. Second, you wouldn't want to enable surround with only two monitors as the center would be where the bezels are. And no matter how skinny they are, you don't want that. The center is where the crosshair is, and you don't want it lost in the bezels. Third, even my R9 280, which is stronger than your 960, isn't really able to play modern games at three 1080 screens. You simply don't have the power to run games over multiple monitors. Honestly I'd just stick to one monitor.

4745454b

Titan
Some observations. First, dual monitors isn't surround. You really need 3 or more for that. Second, you wouldn't want to enable surround with only two monitors as the center would be where the bezels are. And no matter how skinny they are, you don't want that. The center is where the crosshair is, and you don't want it lost in the bezels. Third, even my R9 280, which is stronger than your 960, isn't really able to play modern games at three 1080 screens. You simply don't have the power to run games over multiple monitors. Honestly I'd just stick to one monitor.

Solution

Active dp is only for amd not nvidia. They also raised it to 3 without needing active dp on the rx 300 series. Nvidia can use any port and one port is not better than another unless there are resolution/hz limitations like with 4k. 1080p is not an issue for any port.

You can do surround with 2 monitors for a couple years now. It's just not going to be pleasant on most games.