MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Motherboard Audio Ports Not Working?

robert13524

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
Hello I'm having a problem with my pc as none of the audio ports work so I can't get any sound through my headset. I was watching a YouTube video then I had to go for 30 mins so I left my pc on and I came back and the audio had stopped playing through my headset then the next day I tried to go on my pc again and it was working when I first got on but it stopped working again after a few minuets and it hasn't played any sound through my headset since and no other headsets or earphones work on it. also when I go into the BIOS menus it says the audio ports are disabled. any help is much appreciated

robert13524

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
sorry I meant to say disconnected but do you know how to reconnect them

Oh, so I guess "disconnected" is not a user-changeable setting then, it's just a statement for information purposes.

Are you using an add-on sound card (and that includes any graphics card which has it's own sound chip)?

(The audio settings in the BIOS refer only to on-board sound like Realtek etc).

robert13524

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
I don't have an additional sound card and I'm not sure if my graphics card has a sound chip but it is a Msi Radeon r7 370 gaming 4 gb graphics card

The MSI Radeon r7 370 does not have a sound chip.

It's possible that the on-board sound adapter has died. If it has, you'll need to install a sound card.
Have a look in Device Manager first, if no sound adapter is listed, and no errors are showing, the sound adapter has died.

robert13524

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016

will this mean I need to buy a sound card and if so is there a relatively cheap one you would recommend I get

Take a look on Amazon, I've linked to internal sound cards here:

UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pci+sound+cards

USA: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pci+sound+cards&sprefix=PCI+sound+cards%2Ccomputers%2C243&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apci+sound+cards

Check your PC has an empty PCI or PCI Express slot first, some of those cards require PCI slot, some require PCI Express, it tells you which in the product description.

robert13524

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016

thank you for your help