PC Crashing Repeatedly

AbsoluteGuardian

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
So my computer has been experiencing some odd crashes for a very long time now but they seem to come and go and I've never really been able to diagnose them fully.

In the last two days, these crashes have become somewhat more frequent and they manifest in a slightly different way too.

Usually what will happen is I'll get a BSOD randomly while doing ANYTHING on my computer, then the computer will restart and that'll be it for the day, then I'll usually get a BSOD a day for a week, then it'll just go away.

In the last few days however, I've had multiple crashes a day and these have NOT brought up a BSOD. This means I can't even dig up a minidump to check what may have caused it. So far I've had these happen either while playing a game or watching a YouTube video, my graphics drivers are up to date.

My specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD FX-8120
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
GPU: Nvidia GTX 550Ti
PSU: Corsair CX500

I would appreciate any help greatly, I really can't afford for my PC to die on me right now.

Enderegg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Searched on google about that and it only means unsuspected shutdown. Several things may cause this. Bad drivers, unstable OC, PSU degradation. With time OCs also go unstable.
Are you OCing? How old is your PSU? Did you install anything just before this started happening?

AbsoluteGuardian

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

I haven't OC'd at all, although my GPU was bought 'superclocked' by the guy who put the PC together for me, but I assume that's just fancy marketing jargon.

My PSU is less than 3 years old, I didn't install anything before this started happening.

Enderegg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I'm afraid I can't help you then. It still may be the PSU, but I think it's rather improbable. I think I saw that some Nvidia drivers were bad a few days ago, but it should be fixed by now. But think if you installed something. It may be that as well.

aparnell572

Reputable
Mar 30, 2016
I can almost guarantee it's the power supply. Anytime you've put even minor amounts of stress on it, it unexpectedly shuts down. To test this if your pc has integrated graphics to remove the graphics and run and see if you continue to get kernel power critical error, or test with a different power supply. Generally drivers and hardware incompatibilities cause stop errors, so that's also why I'm leaning towards psu failure, good luck

AbsoluteGuardian

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

Okay I can definitely confirm it's not the PSU. I had it replaced today, from a Corsair CX500 to a CX600 and the same thing continues to happen...What are my options right now?

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
This sounds like a driver issue.

1) Boot into Safe Mode and disable/re-install the drivers affected. BSOD's always list which driver is affected.

2) Try running Windows Recovery Media and choosing 'Startup Repair' as it may be a critical system driver

If the other two options don't work, 3) Back up your data and re-format your PC.

You may also look into working in a backup solution to your daily routine, whether that be a disk imager or a snapshot tool like Rollback Rx or Comodo Time Machine you do need a backup for when things like this happen.

AbsoluteGuardian

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

I'm not getting BSODs, that's the issue. I used to, but this seems to have evolved into just pure crashing now. No BSOD, no minidump. Nothing.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

My recommendations still stand. These issues can happen even if you don't see a BSOD.

AbsoluteGuardian

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

Well I can definitely try the Recovery Media but disabling or reinstalling drivers is out of the question because I have no way of telling what's failing without getting a BSOD.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

True. It's likely your Graphics driver but I know it can be a pain.

AbsoluteGuardian

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
I don't know if this lends itself to anything, but I've also noticed that some programs will just randomly stop working while I'm using my PC. So far I've noticed this with Chrome and Skype, and this definitely hasn't been happened prior to these crashes.