Crash to black screen, Critical Kernel-power error, Event ID 41, Task Category 63

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaskartt

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
My desktop computer has been recently crashing to a black screen at seemingly random times. When I go into even viewer it says there was a critical kernel power error, with event id 43 and task category 63. I rebuilt my computer with mostly new parts back in december, (new cpu/mobo, hard drive) but hadn't had any problems until last monday.

The friday before it happened I went to visit my parents for the weekend, so I left the computer off and shut of the power strip it was plugged in to. I also took one of the monitors I was using to RMA because it wasn't working properly (got the new monitor a few weeks after I rebuilt pc). When I came back on monday (now with just one monitor) my computer will start crashing at random times. Its never happened while gaming, and I've played upwards of an hour and a half at a time so I don't think its an overheating issue. I've had my power supply about a year and it has had no problems at all since I got it. I've changed the power strip and it doesn't seem to help either.

I'm not sure what could be causing this, could it have something to do with not having 2 monitors? When I was using 2, I had one plugged into my video card display port and one plugged into the integrated graphics. Now I just have one plugged into my DVI port on the video card and have disabled the integrated graphics. I might try to change the outlet its plugged into, but this one has been working fine for over 6 months.
I'm currently on:

windows 10 - 64bit
intel i5 4690k
8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram
AMD r9 290

I'd really appreciate and help with this, I'm so lost as to what it could be. Thanks.

jaskartt

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016

This is the crash dump analysis:

On Tue 3/22/2016 9:22:08 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032216-7328-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x154 (0xFFFFE0007FFD8000, 0xFFFFD000246B6080, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 3/22/2016 9:22:08 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x154 (0xFFFFE0007FFD8000, 0xFFFFD000246B6080, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I really dislike custom errors, they don't tell me anything. The exe is part of windows, its not the cause. It was just pushed to do wrong things by some driver.

I doubt its caused by you only using the one monitor

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

An event 41 is used to report that something unexpected happened that prevented Windows from shutting down correctly. There may be insufficient information to explicitly define what happened. To determine what may have happened and to identify a potential resolution, it is important to know what the computer was doing at the time just before the event occurred.

If event 41 is logged because power to the computer was interrupted, consider obtaining an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) such as a battery backup power supply. An underpowered or failing power supply may cause this behavior. For example, if you added RAM or additional devices or hard disks when this problem began, the power supply may cause the problem.

This scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. To help isolate the problem, check the following items:

• Overclocking: Disable overclocking to see whether the issue occurs when the system is run at the correct speed.
    Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
    Power supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices can require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
    Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.
    Defaults: Reset the system back to the system defaults to see whether the issues occur when the system is running in its default configuration.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2028504

jaskartt

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
Its really strange because its never happened before, and the only hardware change I've made is removing the monitor. I'm not currently overclocking and nothing seems to be overheating, but I'll make sure the fans are always spinning. The power supply should be fine (850 watts), but I have an extra (750 watts) I can swap out if I have to.

I tried to clean out what little dust was inside the case and after that I had no problems for 2 days, with the pc being on upwards of 6-7 hours straight each day. Unfortunately it has happened a couple times in the last 24 hours but much less frequently.

James_264

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
You need to analyse the Error log carefully. Not just the exact event is important but some above and some below events in the Windows Event viewer can also help in detecting the roor. Read this http://eventlogxp.com/blog/troubleshooting-knowledgebase/ can u post screenshot of actual Error Events

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I am having very similar issues. Ever since I instlaled Windows 10. Since then I have clean-installed Windows 10 including full system format TWICE.
No luck.
I am getting frequent - random - black screen crashes.
It goes like this.
My computer suddenly starts to freeze - entering strange ominous tell-tale lag. This last for roughly 1-2 seconds mouse still moving - but if I click nothing happens - browser or app still functioning slightly.
Then the screen goes black - NO SIGNAL.
The audio if available will continue to play - but the PC is 100% frozen.
Waiting for several seconds (over 10 seconds) and sometimes mashing buttons - will result in SYSTEM RESTART. Otherwise it will restart by its own after a short while.

Checking the event log it reads KERNEL POWER 41.

Have you found any solution for this? I feel like I tried EVERYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.