100% disk usage lag spikes

randomdude64

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
Hi, every so often my laptop freezes for about 2 mins and the disk shows 100% usage. The process called system and compressed memory also increases dramatically in terms of percentages.

I've tried disabling superfetch and other similar registry items. I've changed the power plan, updated drivers etc, however none of that has worked.

Thanks.

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, Random Dude!

Since you've already disabled those Windows Services that could have been causing the spikes, the issue could be coming from a virus/malware just like @Laptop Nerd mentioned. However, it could also be coming from the HDD itself. That's why I'd strongly recommend you to use the hard drive manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic tool and check up on the health and SMART status. If you are unable to find this utility on their website, you can refer to some good third-party testing tool suggestions from the community.

Give these a try as well and keep us posted with the results.
Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to run Windows Update and install all the updates available and see if that will solve the problem.
- If this will not work, do also run a virus/malware scan just to make sure it's not an infection that's causing that problem.
- Here's how: http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-1691891/removing-malware-proven-completely-remove-bitcoin-mining-malware.html
- Once done, do test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.
- If all these will not work I would suggest doing a clean install of Windows 10.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware, Random Dude!

Since you've already disabled those Windows Services that could have been causing the spikes, the issue could be coming from a virus/malware just like @Laptop Nerd mentioned. However, it could also be coming from the HDD itself. That's why I'd strongly recommend you to use the hard drive manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic tool and check up on the health and SMART status. If you are unable to find this utility on their website, you can refer to some good third-party testing tool suggestions from the community.

Give these a try as well and keep us posted with the results.
Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS